It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:41 pm 

Hello All!

I bought a computer with Windows 8.1 The first thing I installed on it was Classic Shell. What a relief! At first I thought I'd never would use Windows 8.1, then with Classic Shell almost everything fell into it's place.

I have some problems though. I described them to Microsoft, but they said these can easily be caused by Classic Shell.

I'm not sure everything is said the way I describe, but I use Windows and Classic Shell in Hungarian, so I'm just guessing what are the exact English names for these functions, but I try to give proper descriptions.

These problems usually start to occur after hibernating and waking up Windows. After a full restart they don't happen for a while.

I'm using these functions on the daily basis for almost two decades by now, and I do everything the same way, so I guess it is not because I don't know how to do these. And also, sometimes they work, and sometimes with the exact same method they don't.

1. I can't send a file or files from file managers (like Total Commander) with right clicking on the selected file(s) then clicking on "send", then clicking on "to the recipient of the e-mail".
The expected behavior would be: a new e-mail would be generated by Outlook 2010 with the attachment (or attachments) which I choose in the file manager.
It varies what's the exact behavior. Some occasions it won't do the expected thing at all, some occasions if I close Outlook 2010, it would work.

2. I can't drag & drop files as an attachment to an e-mail.
It also varies what's the exact behavior. Sometimes it just drops the file (meaning, when you start to drag the file (of course without releasing the mouse button) and you hover the cursor over the button of the e-mail on the tray in order to bring the mail forward, you'll notice there is nothing anymore to drag.
Other times it is there, but when you drag the file over the e-mail, the arrow becomes the scored circle that means you can't put it there.

Another problem, which is not Outlook related:

I like that when you put applications onto the left column of the start menu, some can have sub menus with the recently opened files or sites or programs.
My problem is with Chrome. I like to fix the most frequently opened sites to the top of the Google Chrome's sub menu (as it is shown on the attached screenshot).
While other apps (Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox) show the miniature icons left to the site names, Chrome doesn't. And it is not because I deleted the cache or anything like that. (The problem is present only in the fixed part. The dynamically changing links would have the icon).

And a last problem that is Excel related.

Sometimes, when Excel is open with one or some sheets, and if I try to open an existing Excel file by double clicking on it's icon in a file manager, it won't open in the same Excel, but it opens a new one. It is random when it opens in the same, and when in new...

Thank you & kind regards,
Gabor

Attachments:
Start Menu Google Chrome sub menu.jpg
Start Menu Google Chrome sub menu.jpg [ 119.82 KiB | Viewed 17156 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

For your Outlook and Excel problems, try uninstalling Classic Shell and see if the problems persist. Classic Shell should not affect the behavior of any Office products.

As for Chrome, I think there is a bug in how they handle icons. Every time you run Chrome it rebuilds its jumplist (the links you see in the menu). It deletes the old icons and creates new ones. Unfortunately that also deletes the icons for the pinned links. You will get a similar problem if you pin Chrome to the taskbar and not even use the start menu.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:41 am 

Thanks, I'll try it. Is it possible to save EVERYTHING the way it is now and get it back when I install Classic Shell again?
I mean I rendered the icons into specific tree structure, and I'd like to have that again after re-installing Classic Shell.
I'd also like to get back the icons I fixed in the left column as they are now.

Thanx,
Gabor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:50 am 
Site Admin

When you uninstall Classic Shell your settings will be preserved for the next time. You can also save your settings to XML file just in case.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:59 pm 

Thanks, I'll try this. I'll inform you about the results.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 am 

Yes, you were absolutely right. The Outlook related problems were stupid Outlook and Windows 8.1 system settings.
Thank you, and sorry that at first I believed what MS said!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:24 pm 

Hello!

I am seeing the same issue with all of my users: cannot drag and drop files to an Outlook 2013 email. What did you discover was the cause and fix?? Thanks so much in advance!!