It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:25 am 

Windows 8.1
Internet Explorer 10

I have a new laptop (present) which came with Windows 8.1 and IE10. I downloaded Classic Shell v 4.2.5 and was thrilled with the initial results. However, I soon realised that many of the webpages visited are incomplete in various ways. Text boxes have lines missing, text is missing from boxes and, sometimes, both are missing - just blank which requires moving the mouse all over the page just to find where eg "next" should be.

This is all so frustrating as it affects online surveys, web mail, ebay, Amazon and Paypal: just to name a few.

I would be ever so grateful for some help in solving this problem.

Inspired
Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Admin

This doesn't sound like related to Classic Shell in any way. Does uninstalling CS fix your problem?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:27 pm 

Hello

I have not tried uninstalling but will do so. Laptop is so new that that I can't think what else is causing the problem.

Many thanks, I will report back after I have tried the uninstall.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:28 pm 

The contents or web pages/how they are rendered is not affected by Classic Shell's IE plugin. It only restores the page title, progress bar and Protected Mode status to Internet Explorer.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:37 am 

Ivo wrote:
This doesn't sound like related to Classic Shell in any way. Does uninstalling CS fix your problem?

I did not have the problems with web pages/programmes before downloading Classic Shell which leads me to think CS has tweaked something. I noticed, last night the Classic IE had not made any difference to Internet Explorer.

I have attempted to uninstall but have ended up with a bit of a mess and am not sure where to go from here.

Also, while researching today, I have discovered that I have IE11 not IE 10 on this laptop. It was sold to me as IE10. I can't find any sign of an IE11 update.

Confused.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:47 am 

Gaurav wrote:
The contents or web pages/how they are rendered is not affected by Classic Shell's IE plugin. It only restores the page title, progress bar and Protected Mode status to Internet Explorer.

I wish I had seen your post before attempting to uninstall.

As mentioned above, CS IE did not make the changes to the title or status bars as seen in "Classic Shell: Features"

Also - somehow, IE11 has appeared on the system.

Now I need to work out how to fix the mess!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Well, looks like IE11 was somehow installed on your system. It is possible that Classic IE got disabled in the process. You may try to enable it from the Manage Addons dialog in the Tools menu: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#ie_caption

As for the rendering glitches, they may also be related to the upgrade from IE10 to IE11. Classic Shell does not affect how pages are displayed inside the browser.