It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 am 

Is it possible to move the IE9 / 11 Favorites Star back to the previous location?
That is back to the LEFT hand side on the Favorites Bar as used by IE8.
Preferably with the "Favorites" text.

Possibly a feature for the next version of Classic Shell?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 am 
Site Admin

No, rearranging the components of Internet Explorer is not possible.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:55 am 

If you are willing to install a third party free app, there is a simple trick which can bring back the Favorites button back as well as the Favorites pane on the left. Microsoft still kept the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+I) to show the Favorites on the left. So you can put a shortcut in your IE Favorites bar that runs a script in any language and sends the Ctrl+Shift+I keystrokes.
You can use VBScript etc too but I prefer AutoHotkey because it doesn't provide any confirmation or warning prompts in IE.

1. Download the ZIP file attached to this post and extract the AutoHotkey script (.AHK file) anywhere e.g. Desktop or Documents folder.
2. Download and run AutoHotkey installer from this page: http://ahkscript.org/download/. You will need AutoHotkey installed so you can run this script without any confirmation prompts.
3. Create a shortcut to the AHK file you downloaded by right click -> Create shortcut and copy-paste the shortcut in the folder called C:\Users\<your user name>\Favorites\Links\. (The folder inside Favorites may be called Favorites Bar instead of Links).
4. Now open IE. You will get it as a button/shortcut on the Favorites bar.
5. Since it's a shortcut, you can right click it and assign it the Favorites star icon from C:\Windows\system32\imageres.dll. Then you can drag it all the way to the left, next to the Add to Favorites button. It performs exactly like the button to toggle the Favorites pane.

The only catch of this is that the Favorites pane does not automatically close when you click outside it. I switched from using the mouse to the keyboard shortcut Alt+C to get used to this horrid change.

Note that this workaround has nothing to do with Classic Shell. Classic Shell is not responsible for anything that happens to your computer from use of the recommended third party software. :)

The result is something like this:

Attachments:
Favorites.png
Favorites.png [ 8.17 KiB | Viewed 14676 times ]
Favorites.zip [209 Bytes]
Downloaded 938 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.