It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:20 am 

I believe I have done due diligence before asking a question here, including uninstalling CS and reinstalling to the 4.0 version. I hate asking dumb questions, but I hate it MORE to not be able to have Classic Shell (I am hooked!) So here goes:

(Windows 8 (as mentioned above), and IE9; had been using CS 3.98.)

A few days ago, CS stopped its usual display in IE9, and threw me back to the Metro -- I mean, Modern -- look (which I find to be completely unusable.) The standard Tech Support question is, "did you install any software or make any changes to your system?" I had recently installed some software (stuff to attempt to manage my Dell monitor), but that was a couple days previously. It's possible that one of the Dell programs might have done an update just before I noticed this problem; but I can't fully remember.

(1) The first thing I did was to try a System Restore back to a couple day before installing the Dell software. I'm not sure whether that was a good idea; but it didn't fix the problem. I didn't check any of the settings in IE before doing this; and I probably "shoulda" done that, too.

(2) I then came to the ClassicShell site, to look for other fixes. I was hoping to find a way to just "refresh" the CS installation. However, I noticed that version 4.0 had been released. I figured that installing that would probably take care of any "refreshing" that needed to be done. It didn't.

(3) I then completely uninstalled CS, and rebooted. I then ran the CS 4.0 install again. No help.

(4) I went through the steps in the ReadMe (yes, people DO read those things!):

(a)"The toolbar for Windows Explorer may not show up automatically after installation. You have to do a few things before you can use it.

Windows 8:Press Alt+V to open the View ribbon. Click on the down arrow in the “Options” section. Select “Classic Explorer Bar” "
For me, pressing Alt+V did not open the View ribbon. Instead, it opened the drop-down menu attached below.

I selected "Toolbars", since that seemed to be the closest thing. The entry for the "Classic Shell Bar" did appear, but was unchecked. I clicked it to "tick" it; but nothing changed on the screen. I opened the menu again, and CS was still unchecked! Tried this several times; but something would not let me "tick" the Bar. I figured this was probably a problem!

(b) "If these steps don’t work, it may be possible that the Explorer extensions have been disabled. Check the following, then try to show the toolbar again:
1)Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools -> Manage add-ons. Locate the add-ons “Classic Explorer Bar” and “ExplorerBHO Class” and make sure they are enabled."
They both were. In addition, "ClassicIEBHO Class" and "Classic IE Settings" appeared, and were enabled.

(c) "2) Maybe the browser extensions are disabled on your system. This is usually the default for Windows Server. Open the "Internet Options", go to the "Advanced" tab, and check the option "Enable third-party browser extensions".
This was already checked.

(d) {Editorial comment}"On Windows 8 the Classic Explorer status bar is different from the one in Explorer. You can show/hide the first one from the Classic Explorer settings dialog and show/hide the second one from Explorer’s folder options dialog."
This sentence made absolutely no sense to me; yet I think it's talking about something important. Please take a shot at rewording and/or expanding this. I don't know if you can get away with just saying "Explorer"; there are both "Internet Explorer" and "File Explorer" (thankfully renamed from "Windows Explorer"!) It seems that what you are talking about here could be related to either one. Also, I think a little more expansion on which menus are involved (and how to get to them) would be helpful. You did a great job on this in the other two sections I quoted above.

================================================
So I'm stuck. I'm sure there is a problem with the menu I mentioned above, and the fact that it would not allow CS to remain ticked. But I don't know what to do next.

I will comment here that part of the blame may lie with Windows 8. Amongst the many other ways I despise it, I am really unhappy about all the new restrictions it places on who can write what to where. The restrictions are not logical; and I believe they have messed with other things I have tried to install. These restrictions won't let me see (or edit) many sections of the Registry; and I have a real issue with that! I believe that all this "locking" behavior may be interfering with CS's ability to go in and make changes (although I did have CS installed since sometime in August, and it had been working great!)

Thanks,
Cheebie

Attachments:
10-10-2013 Menu re Classic Shell.PNG
10-10-2013 Menu re Classic Shell.PNG [ 11.46 KiB | Viewed 26741 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:38 am 

Ok, which part(s) of classic shell are misbehaving?

Classic IE?

Classic explorer toolbar?
- If so are other components like the 'Disable Breadcrumbs' working *If you dont have this option checked you can go to your install directory, which is likely C:\Program Files\Classic Shell and then open "ClassicExplorersettings.exe"

Classic start button?
If so, navigate to your install directory and try clicking "ClassicStartMenu.exe" tell me if that makes it show

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:47 am 

If all addons are enabled in the Manage Addons dialog, and yet you are unable to enable the File Explorer toolbar, then it may be a case of File Explorer getting confused with the toolbars it has installed. To fix that, first close all File Explorer windows. Then open Registry Editor (C:\Windows\system32\regedit.exe) and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser key and delete the value called ITBar7Layout. Then re-open File Explorer and try ticking CS again.

About the status bar wording, what it means is that on Windows 8, an independent status bar is added by Classic Shell, unlike on Windows 7 where it merely modifies the File Explorer status bar. Enable it from the Status Bar tab in Classic Explorer settings (Start Menu -> All programs -> Classic Shell -> Classic Explorer settings). But Windows 8 File Explorer also has its own dysfunctional status bar that does not show all the relevant information. Having two status bars is redundant. So you may want to disable the built-in Windows 8 File Explorer status bar. To do that, go to File Explorer's Folder Options. Folder Options is in the Control Panel or you can also access it from the View tab of the File Explorer Ribbon.

Your screenshot shows that you are opening the View menu of Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer, Classic Shell does not add a toolbar. It restores the page title to the title bar of IE and puts back the page loading progress indicator, and other information to IE's status bar. To turn on IE's status bar, press Alt+Space in IE's main window, and check the "Status bar".

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Admin

I don't quite understand what the problem is. Are you saying that when you try to open IE you get the Metro version instead of the desktop version?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:53 pm 

Thanks for all the help, guys! I should've checked the site earlier!

I'm really not a TOTAL dummie at this stuff; but Win8 has made me feel like one (maybe I should buy the book....)

Let me clarify something: the problems I am experiencing are with INTERNET Explorer (not FILE Explorer, as far as I know. I have attached a screen shot of what the File Explorer window looks like.) I also just realized that the problem I'm experiencing may have to do with a THEME that I installed around the same time as CS; I'm just not sure who's doing what. (Aside to Gaurav: belated thanks for the Theme you posted for me. I later found this one:
http://xxinightxx.deviantart.com/art/Windows-Classic-Vs-372853688 which really did a great job of completing the restoration back to a Windows Classic look (line widths, colors, etc.)

I have also attached a screen shot of what IE looks like when I open it (and please let me know if you would prefer a different graphics format, etc.) Problems:
(1) There is no "tab bar" or other toolbars at the top. Previously, these bars ALWAYS appeared, and were in a format similar to what I used to see in Win XP (using the "Classic" Theme for XP, not the "XP" Theme, if you know what I mean.) If I push my mouse cursor up to the top of the screen, a toolbar of sorts appears; but it seems to come and go of its own accord. And when it is there, it covers up part of the web page (often, the important navigating features are at the very top!) This toolbar does NOT look like the one I had before. With regard to the "covering up", I think there may be some issues here with parts of Classic Shell still loading and working.

(2) The Task Bar at the bottom goes away when I go into IE. Previously, this would stay in place when I opened an IE window. In response to Jcee, I do have the Classic Shell Start button, when I have the Taskbar!! But no Taskbar in IE, etc.

For these reasons, I believe (in response to Ivo) that I have been kicked back to a Metro look.

Some specific replies:
Jcee:
I have not yet tried going directly to "ClassicExplorerSettings.exe", because I wanted to get these clarifications posted first. Again, there is some confusion for me with regard to "Explorer" settings as opposed to "Internet Explorer" settings.

Gaurav:
- With regard to your comments about File Explorer and RegEdit: see above with respect to FE vs. IE. Therefore, I did not try the RegEdit change you suggested. I am perfectly willing to attempt any RegEdit changes you suggest; but recall that my access to modifying the Registry seems to be very limited (even though I am set up as an Administrator.) [Off-topic: if anyone knows of a way to loosen Win8's grip on all these read/write privileges, and restore them to something more like XP had, I would greatly appreciate a referral! The current Win8 setup feels more like airport security after 9-11!!]

- Thank you for expanding on the wording about the Status Bar. Again, it appears that this is related to FILE Explorer, not INTERNET Explorer.

- You said: "In Internet Explorer, Classic Shell does not add a toolbar. It restores the page title to the title bar of IE and puts back the page loading progress indicator, and other information to IE's status bar." Considering the information I have provided above, does that mean that Classic Shell was not the entity which was providing the look that I liked? Do I need to be working with the Theme instead?

- You said: "To turn on IE's status bar, press Alt+Space in IE's main window, and check the "Status bar"." I did try that, and got a menu of "toolbars" that seemed appropriate (again, I apologize if I am not quite calling things by their correct names.) The Status Bar is checked. However, an entry for "Classic Explorer Bar" also appears, and it is not checked. When I click on that entry, it does not get "ticked", and it seems like that might be part of my problem. Then again, given what you said above about "Classic Shell does not add a toolbar..." - I don't know what to think.

Ivo:
Thank you for checking in! As you can see from the above, _I_ may not understand what the problem is either!! :D

Thanks to all; I hope this additional info clarifies things a bit.
Cheebie

Attachments:
10-11-2013 Classic Shell - INTERNET Explorer.png [181.89 KiB]
Downloaded 4045 times
10-11-2013 Classic Shell - FILE Explorer.png
10-11-2013 Classic Shell - FILE Explorer.png [ 92.95 KiB | Viewed 26655 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like your Internet Explorer was closed while in fullscreen mode. This is not the same as Metro mode.
Try pressing F11 to go back to normal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:28 pm 

Gack! GACK, I say!!! :oops: :oops:

I just KNEW it was a stupid problem/question!!! I have NEVER used "full-screen mode" in ANY version of Windows, so I wouldn't know it if I saw it (and obviously, I didn't!)

You gotta admit, though: it DID kinda look like a Metro app, didn't it? No toolbars, no Taskbar, annoying behaviors ...

Thank you VERY much, Ivo! You are the BEST, not only for developing Classic Shell, but for helping fools like me! I am not a wealthy man (in fact, I'm kinda in a money crunch at the moment), but I'll see if I can arrange a few bucks for a donation (if not now, then in a month or so when things get a little better.)

Thanks to everyone else who helped, as well.

Everything is back to looking like it should in IE. I still have one question, though: I still have the problem where I can't "tick" the Classic Explorer Bar in IE. Maybe it's not necessary. However, its behavior has changed a little bit: when I open that menu (Alt+Space) and try to "tick" that toolbar, Windows asks me if I want to "disable this add-on?", and then lists "ExplorerBHO Class" and "ClassicIEBHO Class". It did this once or twice to me before (out of many attempts); but now it asks about the disabling every time.

Is this an issue? Am I losing anything by not having that Toolbar available? Any ideas on how to fix the situation?

Thanks,
Cheebie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 pm 

No that toolbar is for File Explorer but the reason it shows up in IE is because they both share the toolbar addon model.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.