It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 pm 

Not sure, but I think I might be experiencing some sort of issue caused by classic shell (most likely, hence why I chose this forum) or CSM. It happens under unknown circumstances and causes the taskbar and title bars to stop responding until I restart Windows... and thus the only way I know to get any sort of troubleshooting information about it (ideally a workaround) would be to restart various programs that might be causing the problem, one of which is this one. How can I do that? Is there a line I can run in Command Prompt/Run to force classic shell to unload/reload?
(I can get around Explorer being unresponsive as described; got AutoHotkey and a few other things that might allow me to invoke a batch so that part isn't a problem)

As an aside, I tried searching "restart" in this forum before posting this, but apparently the word is too common. If that's not intentional (and frankly, if it were me, I would consider that definition of "common" to be too liberal. More results are generally better than none), I suggest an admin take a look at this article I found on phpBB's forums:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1441385

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:50 am 

sadly this forum is basically in stasis, the classic shell project has been abandoned for 2 years now :P
open shell is the spiritual sucessor, but i dont think they do many updates either

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:43 pm 

Understandable, but dead or not, I can at least hope for an answer right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:22 am 

Oh sorry I know you can right click the start button and select 'exit' to close that component of classic shell. then you have to run classic shell again Do this by navigating to its install directory (default is C:\Program Files\Classic Shell) and running ClassicStartMenu.exe

As for an automated way; Running (assuming default classic shell install directory)
"C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -exit
will exit classic shell
and Running
"C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe"
will load classic shell back up