It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:42 am 

Classic Explorer settings does not effect on some windows on 64bit Windows 7. For example, if you open explorer window with some program up button missing, tree item spacing is default... When I open normal explorer everything is ok. I think the problem is that classic explorer settings has no effect on the explorer from folder SysWOW64 (32 bit folder in Windows 7 x64).

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Yes, that is correct. http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_saveas

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 am 

Pity. Is there some way to resolve this in some of the future updates?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Admin

There are no plans for such feature at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:22 am 

I've been using Classic Shell since Win8. I liked the Classic Explorer portion, but with the upgrade to Win10, the tree view is highly compressed & unreadable, with the lines overlapping each other. I've tried several versions, but nothing works. I've had to uninstall the Classic Explorer portion & just use the Classic Shell, which is fine, but I'd really like to have the Classic Explorer work like it used to.

I've been unable to find a setting that has any effect. Any suggestions? Am I the only one with this problem? It's happening on all 5 of my computers now running Win10.

I have Win10 Home & Pro, 64bit, all laptops with 8GB RAM & dual core of 1.8-2.2. I use FireFox as my default browser.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Download Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads
Run it, save a system log (on the PC that is affected by the problem), then send it to me

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Download Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads
Run it, save a system log (on the PC that is affected by the problem), then send it to me

When I try to run that, I get a pop-up that says:

"This app has been blocked for your protection."

"An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator."

Program name: ClassicShellUtility.exe
Publisher: Untrusted
File origin: Downloaded from the Internet
Program location: xxxxxxx

Now, My UAC is turned off. I am not on a corporate network or even a homegroup. I have never made a setting that would cause this, that I can think of & I have never seen this message before & it happens on all machines.

I am, however, running Spybot Anti-Beacon, which locks down most Win10 beaconing. That's the only thing I can imagine that could be interfering, but it hasn't interfered with anything else, ever.

Also, I downloaded this utility about a month ago & ran it with no trouble at all. This result is entirely new.

UPDATE: I turned off the SpyBot Anti-Beacon to no effect. The UAC still blocks this program.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Is it UAC that blocked it, or just Internet Explorer?
Save the file to disk and check its properties. If it has a valid digital signature then it is OK to run. If not, then you have a bad file.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:40 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Is it UAC that blocked it, or just Internet Explorer?
Save the file to disk and check its properties. If it has a valid digital signature then it is OK to run. If not, then you have a bad file.

I found several articles on this & it's apparently a common enough problem with some of the changes in Win10 several people have published workarounds. I used a cmd.exe with elevated privileges to run the program from the command line & it ran fine. That is the most suggested workaround. The UAC, like many things in Win10, remains active & has functionality even when completely disabled by an admin account. Only the 'hidden' Administrator can bypass it, which must be enabled before you can log in with it, which is not the recommended approach.

I NEVER use IE. I use FireFox exclusively.

You asked for before & after screen shots. They're attached.

Attachments:
File comment: This is what Classic Explorer shows, when installed:
treeviewClassicShell.jpg
treeviewClassicShell.jpg [ 120.29 KiB | Viewed 26163 times ]
File comment: This is what Win10 shows normally.
treeviewWin10.jpg
treeviewWin10.jpg [ 99.83 KiB | Viewed 26163 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

I think the problem is that somehow you got an old version of the Classic Shell Utility with an expired digital certificate. I didn't see any of the new information in your log. The new version is 637KB in size and the old version is 624KB. Which one do you have?

The missing IE is not likely to be causing your problem. Well, if you installed it back and it fixed the problem, then what do I know :)
Looks like you have some other extension that adds a toolbar and menu to Explorer. It may be interfering with Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:41 pm 

Thanks. I was using the one I downloaded before. I didn't think of the cert expiring. I'll try a new DL & get you the new log.

I don't have any other browser extensions installed. Everything listed is Classic Shell.

I may try cleaning it out completely & starting again from scratch. I did see the Classic Shell IE helper is listed as ClassicExolorer32.dll. Is that correct for a 64 bit Win10?

I even tried the 4.2.5c version just made available & it does the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:44 pm 

Yes, downloaded the current utility & it works fine. Will try more tomorrow & be back.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:15 pm 

@Fogdude, Open Classic Explorer Settings, check "Show all settings". On the Navigation Pane tab, check the "Tree item spacing" setting. It should be 0. If it is not 0, change it to 0 and close all Explorer windows and re open them. That should fix your navigation pane issue.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:10 am 

I believe I found the problem. When I opened the Classic Explorer Settings, I saw that the Tree Item Spacing was defaulted to -3! I changed it to 1 and all looks fine, now. Odd that this was the case on all my systems, but I believe the problem has been resolved.

I hadn't seen the post just prior to this, so I owe thanks to that poster for responding with the correct fix. And yes, 0 or 1 work equally well, though I am opting to use the value of 0, after all.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:14 am 

Gaurav wrote:
@Fogdude, Open Classic Explorer Settings, check "Show all settings". On the Navigation Pane tab, check the "Tree item spacing" setting. It should be 0. If it is not 0, change it to 0 and close all Explorer windows and re open them. That should fix your navigation pane issue.

It did, indeed. many thanks for the help.