It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:52 pm 

When I open new Windows Explorer in Windows XP, it always points focus on Navigation (left) pane. It is thoughtful, because it allows me to start navigating immediately. I press Down arrow key and next folder in Navigation pane becomes selected and I can see its content in the right pane (if I want to) or move further down to the next folder.

When I try to do the same with Classic Shell, new Windows Explorer opens without focus (try to press Enter on keyboard to see which folder it opens). If at that point I press on Down key focus suddenly jumps on the second folder in right panel... But in a new WE I need to navigate most of the times. Thus, I have to take mouse and make a click on Navigation pane to put focus there to start navigating my folders... Or, if I want to use just keyboard (most of the time), in a new WE windows I have to press TAB key 3 times just to put focus where it belongs...

Is there any way to open Windows Explorer with focus on its Navigation pane? (exactly as it's done in ol' WXP)

Here is the some details. I keep all my data on drive D: and to open new Windows Explorer I use AutoHotkey with followed script line:
Code:
%A_WinDir%\Explorer.exe /e,d:\

Running Classic Shell v4.2.5 in Windows 7, x64.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:31 am 

This might help: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2069

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:37 pm 

Thanks a lot, @Gaurav !

Although I'd prefer not to move focus by mouse position. Time-to-time, when I open a new WE, mouse happens to be on its right pane and that moves focus to it (even if I press TAB 3 times). But I guess I can live with that drawback (we'll see find out it in a while :D).

Rant: It's pity to observe how, with any new version of Windows OS, Windows Explorer becomes worse and worse in many details. And now it even requires new DLLs to restore what it was obviously useful, but somehow was removed :( One more prove that marketing is an evil force in today's market economy...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:48 pm 

I think this functionality should be included in new Classic Shell releases. I'm sure many users would appreciate that. Predictability of UI and resemblance to the classic XP design is what makes this shell Classic :)

Thank you again. I don't know how I'd run post-XP Windows OS without this program :D