It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:52 am 

I'm at the final stages of installing my Win 7 machine, and am missing the old Windows Explorer look. That seems to have been due to a mistake of mine though - not installing that feature when installing Classic Shell. Having spent days on fixing the Start menu and its settings now, I'd hate to have all my hard work disappear because of some stupid overwrite. Can I (re)install it with ONLY the Classic Explorer option ticked, without everything reverting to default? Or will I then have to import the XML-file (the backup I took) for it to look "as it should" (as I arranged it etc)?

Big thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:34 am 
Site Admin

When you uninstall Classic Shell, your settings are not deleted.
However if you just want to add the Classic Explorer component you can just run the installer, chose "Change", then add or remove components as you wish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:41 am 

Ivo wrote:
When you uninstall Classic Shell, your settings are not deleted.
However if you just want to add the Classic Explorer component you can just run the installer, chose "Change", then add or remove components as you wish.

Oh? Even all the drag & drop changes to the menu I've made manually ...? Or just the settings?
And what does the XML Backup back up, really? I'd be really grateful if you could clarify any distinction on that topic.

And oh, great. Have only installed once, so wasn't familiar with how that might function. Awesome, thanks:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:54 am 
Site Admin

None of the customizations will be deleted when you uninstall.
However the XML file only backs up the settings you see in the Settings dialog. There is no way to back up the contents of the menu, like the pinned programs or the recent documents.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:08 am 

Ivo wrote:
None of the customizations will be deleted when you uninstall.
However the XML file only backs up the settings you see in the Settings dialog. There is no way to back up the contents of the menu, like the pinned programs or the recent documents.

Wow. Ok ... thanks, that clears it up a bit. I would guess as much, but I mean more like well, yeah, the customizations. Where I put this program link, or that, which order etc.:)

Edit: Aah, now I think I get it. The meny would look the same with Classic Shell off of it, but without the Classic Shell LOOK, so to speak. Got it.