It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:00 pm 

I love Classic Shell, but with both W8 and W10 I now have to hit Ctrl + Shift + N to create a new folder. After 20 years of hitting Alt + F + W + F to create a new folder I still can't get used to this new system even after several months. Is there something I'm not checking in the Settings that will bring back the old menus along with their keyboard counterparts when I click the "Alt" key? I would love to return to using Alt + F + W + F to open new folders again. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:18 am 

Use Ribbon Disabler: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.20 to disable the Ribbon and bring back the Menu bar, although I think Windows 7 is a far better OS and Windows 10 is crap like Windows 8.

Disclaimer: Classic Shell is not responsible for third party tools recommended here.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:40 pm 

I was going to ask about the ribbon as well, but I didn't want to go off topic. But assuming the Alt + F + W + F can't be employed and the ribbon can't be removed, that there are still some opportunities for Classic Explorer to be tweaked to truly mimic in every way the original Explorer just as it has done with the Start Menu. If I'm missing something obvious, I hope readers or the administrator will jump in. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:24 pm 

In this case, Ctrl+Shift+N is a better keyboard shortcut because the keys can be pressed together and has less keystrokes. Alt + F +W + F not only includes 4 keystrokes but also requires you to press them in a specific sequence and depends on the menu bar being available - it's not really a direct keyboard shortcut like Ctrl+Shift+N but rather an accelerator keyboard shortcut. So I don't see why it's hard to learn Ctrl+Shift+N.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:01 pm 

Thanks. For me, I've been doing the Alt + F + W + F since 1995 and do it without thinking. Even if Shift + Ctrl + N is shorter I wish I had the option to use that since I do it by rote as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:24 am 

I agree with NJOceanView.
It's way faster because it only takes one hand.

Wally