It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Cant move files
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:56 am 

I just installed Windows 8, and the Classic Shell, but when I went to go move a lot of folders and files around to organize my stuff a little better, I keep getting the "the action cannot be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program" error message. Ive got nothing nothin else running these files/folders, and the only thing I can think of is that this is something to do with the Shell Explorer.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is there a way I can perhaps shut off the Shell temporarily without having to uninstall it?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cant move files
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

You can try a tool like Process Explorer, that can search for open handles to specific files. A likely suspect for keeping files locked is AV software.

There are ways to disable Classic Shell, but they are different for each component. The easiest is to just uninstall it. Your settings will be preserved for the next time you install.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 am 

Are you organizing/moving files from the network? Windows 7/8 still create the Thumbs.db file on network paths and it may be locking the folders. You can also use the free tool Unlocker to see what is locking the file but beware of forcibly unlocking it using Unlocker, that is not safe to do always.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 pm 

OT, but disturbing. Not being able to move files in W8 Windows Explorer is one thing, but not having any files to move is another. When I click "Windows Key + E" Windows Explorer comes up but there are either zero or 1 or 2 Folders/files in my Documents/Photos/Music Libraries. Did I miss an install step (it's been 24 hours now) or do I need to go into Recovery mode to a checkpoint prior to the Classic Shell install? I would really like this to work for me because it makes W8 what it should have been from the jump.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Were there many files in those libraries before, or you are talking about the sample files that come with Windows?
Classic Shell doesn't delete files and doesn't do anything to the libraries.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 am 

im asuming you installed an upgrade? Ifso, all your old files were likely stored at: C:\Windows.old

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:58 am 

Ivo wrote:
Were there many files in those libraries before, or you are talking about the sample files that come with Windows?
Classic Shell doesn't delete files and doesn't do anything to the libraries.
There were hundreds of file in My Documents, same with My Photos and My Music, Now there's about 6 files spread across those 3 Folders.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

So was this an upgrade from Windows 7?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:12 pm 

Jcee wrote:
im asuming you installed an upgrade? Ifso, all your old files were likely stored at: C:\Windows.old
No files at C:\Windows.old
I installed Windows 8 from the MS website and then ClassicShell from the site of the same name. I have done all this using Chrome although MS may have launched IE to install W8. Is there a possible Cloud to Cloud integration issue?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:13 pm 

Ivo wrote:
So was this an upgrade from Windows 7?
Yes,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Are you certain the libraries were there after you upgraded to Windows 8, but before you installed Classic Shell?
As I said before, there is nothing in Classic Shell that can mess with libraries.

Also, the libraries are nothing but a collection of links to other folders. So maybe your files are still in their original folders, but those folders are not linked to the library.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:54 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Are you certain the libraries were there after you upgraded to Windows 8, but before you installed Classic Shell?
As I said before, there is nothing in Classic Shell that can mess with libraries.

Also, the libraries are nothing but a collection of links to other folders. So maybe your files are still in their original folders, but those folders are not linked to the library.
Almost positive they were there after W8 install.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

OK, see if you can find the files anywhere on your system. Do a full search, including any non-indexed locations. Also look in the Recycle Bin.

If you can't find them, then I guess they are gone for good. If you find the missing folders, you can open the properties for the Documents library and add the folders there.