It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Full Row Select
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:55 am 

I hate Full Row Select.

Some questions:

Why isn't the ability to disable it in Classic Explorer?
Why is it available (allegedly) in "Folder Options x": http://free-sk.t-com.hr/T800soft/softwa ... ptions.htm
Why do 41 out of 68 scanners say "Folder Options x" is infected by a virus?: http://goo.gl/bk7j2u

Is there a safe way to turn Full Row Select off?

Regards,

Slarti.

Post subject: Re: Full Row Select
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Disabling it requires switching Explorer to use a legacy control, which has limited functionality. It will do a lot more than just turn off full row select.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:57 am 

The ability isn't in Classic Explorer because as Ivo said, it also disables other functionality in Explorer.

Folder Options X developer might have preferred the functionality of the older Explorer control, which is why it's there. There was a way to disable full row select via a Registry tweak too: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disab ... windows-7/ but you're on your own. :) Classic Shell is not responsible for anything that happens to your PC from Registry tweaks.

You should ask the developer of Folder Options X why so many anti-malware engines detect it as harmful! Maybe it bundles something else along with the installer?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:21 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Disabling it requires switching Explorer to use a legacy control, which has limited functionality. It will do a lot more than just turn off full row select.

If I knew what features it also turned off then I could make an informed decision as to whether I wanted it or not. Do YOU know what other features get turned off by the "Folder Options X" program?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:48 pm 

GauravK wrote:
The ability isn't in Classic Explorer because as Ivo said, it also disables other functionality in Explorer.

Folder Options X developer might have preferred the functionality of the older Explorer control, which is why it's there. There was a way to disable full row select via a Registry tweak too: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disab ... windows-7/ but you're on your own. :) Classic Shell is not responsible for anything that happens to your PC from Registry tweaks.

You should ask the developer of Folder Options X why so many anti-malware engines detect it as harmful! Maybe it bundles something else along with the installer?

Interesting link you have given. My antivirus software has blocked me from going there because the web page "Contains malware and exploits". I wonder which anti-virus you are using. Mine is Panda (Free).

You say: "Maybe it bundles something else". Or maybe the anti-malware products decide that anything changing certain entries of the registry must automatically be bad, without actually bothering to determine why those entries are being changed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:38 pm 

That site is safe, at least that page definitely is. Your antivirus program is incorrect.

When you use that tweak from Folder Options X, it forces Explorer to use the older view control (of Vista and XP) instead of the newer control introduced in Windows 7. The differences are not that major. The spacing between items in less in the older control so the items appear closer but one major annoyance is when you switch to the List View in Windows Explorer, it actually turns on full row selection there, whereas in the newer control, full row selection is off for Explorer List View but on for Details view. So the older control used in Vista makes it very annoying and hard to select multiple files and folders in List View by drag-selecting them from the blank space.

Attachments:
Full Row Select.png
Full Row Select.png [ 8.39 KiB | Viewed 24859 times ]

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:52 am 

Gaurav wrote:
That site is safe, at least that page definitely is. Your antivirus program is incorrect.

When you use that tweak from Folder Options X, it forces Explorer to use the older view control (of Vista and XP) instead of the newer control introduced in Windows 7. The differences are not that major. The spacing between items in less in the older control so the items appear closer but one major annoyance is when you switch to the List View in Windows Explorer, it actually turns on full row selection there, whereas in the newer control, full row selection is off for Explorer List View but on for Details view. So the older control used in Vista makes it very annoying and hard to select multiple files and folders in List View.

Sorry for the late reply - I've been playing with Windows 10, i.e. trying to configure it to look and work the way I want. (Without much like, I must add).

Anyway, I installed Folder Options X and it works perfectly. I don't see that "major annoyance" in the List View of Windows Explorer and have no problems selecting multiple files.

Did you try it in Windows 10 or were the problems you listed in an earlier Windows version?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm 

Windows 10 Creators Update has re-introduced this Vista-like behavior for List View of File Explorer. The improvement done in Windows 7 to make selection easier like XP has been destroyed. Now the entire row is selected in List View making it really hard to select files. If a file is already selected and you start dragging from an empty area to select more files, it interprets it as drag and drop. Also, de-selecting all files (select none) becomes more difficult.

Attachments:
Regression.png
Regression.png [ 33.08 KiB | Viewed 23496 times ]

Compare Start Menus