It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm 

One of the reasons that I downloaded the up button was to solve a problem that I have been running into with the Windows 7 breadcrumb trail. When you are in a directory and you search for something and select the item searched for, the new base of the breadcrumb trail becomes the search. Therefore, you cannot go up one folder from the point that you searched from.

I thought that Classic shell "UP" button would remedy this, but unfortunately, the "UP" button just brings you back up to the search as well.

For example, if I have the following directory:
C:\Users\PHart\Documents\Folder1\Folder2

from Folder2, I can click "UP" to go to Folder1, then again for Documents etc.. (OK good)

However, if from PHart, I click in the file browser search and search for "Folder2", windows search will find Folder2. When I double click it, I am brought to Folder2, but my new filepath becomes:

search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20Docs&crumb=location:C%3A%5CUsers%5CPHart%5CDocuments\Folder2

and clicking the "UP" button will no longer bring me back to Folder1, instead it will bring me back to the list of search results. I would expect the "BACK" button to bring me back to the search results, but the "UP" button should bring me up one directory, which is Folder1.

Is there any plans for development in this area?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

No plans to do anything about it. The behavior is correct. It brings you to the parent folder, which happens to be the search results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 pm 

As an alternative, you can press Back as you said or Alt+Left instead of Up/Alt+Up.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:21 am 

Ivo wrote:
No plans to do anything about it. The behavior is correct. It brings you to the parent folder, which happens to be the search results.

It is technically correct that the search results page becomes the new parent folder. However, conceptually, and without regard for the way that the Windows search handles this particular task, the parent should remain unchanged and always be Folder1. It is counter-intuitive for the "UP" button to bring you back to the search page rather than to the "biological parent" folder. :)

GauravK wrote:
As an alternative, you can press Back as you said or Alt+Left instead of Up/Alt+Up.

I'm afraid you may not be grasping the issue that this inquiry is addressing. The issue is with the way that Windows recreates the filepath after doing a search in Windows explorer. Instead of the traditional filepath that we are used to seeing starting with C: (C:\Users\PHart\Documents\Folder1\Folder2 ) , the search recreates a new filepath with the root of the path being the search ( search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20Docs&crumb=location:C%3A%5CUsers%5CPHart%5CDocuments\Folder2 ), which effectively "eats all of the bread that was left on the trail", making it impossible to retrace your path using the traditional "UP" button method.

Maybe the behavior is correct, but as a user, it is not the behavior that I would expect. And I'm not the only one complaining - I work in a large organization and several of my colleagues also find this to be counterintuitive and annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:28 am 

I would have to agree, the up button should go to the true parent, rather than the search, but so should the breadcrumbs (dont they start at the search to?), although for me it is a nill issue because i don't use windows built in search :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 am 

I am grasping what you mean and agree it's annoying as hell. You want the Windows XP like behavior. But it may not be possible if you use Windows Search. It is "by design", something only Microsoft can fix. I meant that as a compromise, at least Alt+Left/Back twice lets you go to the folder from where you began the search. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 am 

is it impossible? im not so sure it is: (I know you can get the true folder location), so the problem must be pasting into the location bar?, and pressing enter?, this could be done as soon as the user enters a sub folder from the search..