It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:28 am 

Greetings all,

I've recently encountered this problem: the sort headers no longer appear in any view except Details.
I've uninstalled Classic Shell already several times, and reinstalled.
I've uninstalled by first hiding the toolbar in View menu in Explorer, then rebooting, then uninstalling Classic Shell, then rebooting again, then installing from scratch.
This hasn't fixed the problem.

I'm at the point where I need some expert advice from the community, because I've done everything I can think of.

I hope someone can solve this problem for me, please.

Daniel

Specs: Windows 7 Professional, Classic Explorer 3.6.5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Do any of the other Classic Explorer features work? Like can you get the Up button to appear?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:16 pm 

Maybe this will help?: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_toolbar

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:58 am 

Ivo, yes, the rest of the features work. I have the toolbar visible and its buttons function.
GauravK, the link you provided is to address the toolbar not being visible.
It is visible and works. The only thing that is failing is the header row for all views :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Admin

The toolbar is a separate component and can be enabled/disabled independently. It is possible the toolbar works but other features don't. That's why I asked abut the Up button. Another feature from the same component as the sort header is the one that disables the breadcrumbs. See if that one works.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 pm 

What does disable breadcrumbs do? How will I know if it is in effect or not? I have toggled it on, but I don't know what to check to see if there's any difference.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

The address bar in Windows XP and earlier always shows the current path as text: like C:\Windows\System32. In Vista and later the address bar shows a series of buttons called "breadcrumbs". You only see the path as text if you click to edit the path.

The "disable breadcrumbs" option makes the address bar always show the path.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:06 pm 

DanielT wrote:
GauravK, the link you provided is to address the toolbar not being visible.

That is not just for the toolbar. The ExplorerBHO Class will need to be enabled for sort headers functionality to work and is most likely the reason for your issue.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 am 

thats not a Classic Shell issue, thats just how Windows 7 works.. you dont get the sort headers anytime except in the Details view.. the other 7 views dont show that

but I am also interested in knowing how to turn that on.. how do you enable the BHOclass? is it a feature of Classic Shell? and will that work in Windows 7?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 am 

@tenzen, Classic Shell's Explorer component has a feature to turn on sort headers for all views. The original poster is asking about that.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:26 am 

ooh, yep, i just clicked the button on the 'File Pane' tab, closed & re-opened my explorer window, & i get sort headers in all views

sweet feature.. missed that one..

hope u get it fixed op..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:02 am 

Well, I thought that was what breadcrumbs were, but I have that option selected within Windows' own options (Tools-Folder Options-View-Display the full path in the title bar) is checked.
I also have Launch folder windows in a separate process checked, but I don't know if this has any effect on Classic Shell's functionality.
I tried deselecting the previously mentioned option in Folder Options, but it has not resolved the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 am 

It's broken. I cannot get it to work no matter what I do.
Any more suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Admin

The Folder Options setting is for the title bar, not the address bar. You are confusing the two bars.
Anyway, let's focus on something more obvious. Can you see the Up button as shown here? http://www.classicshell.net/gallery/Cla ... /Titlebar1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 am 

Ivo, NO! I cannot see it there. It appears in the toolbar, but now that I looked for it, it does not appear in the area before the address bar, even though I've selected it.
This, too, has disappeared along with the header functionality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Admin

OK, now we are getting somewhere. That means most likely the shell extension is not enabled. Try to enable "ExplorerBHO Class" in the IE settings as shown here: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_toolbar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 am 

Yay!!! Thank you! I recall recently an issue where Outlook refused to open hyperlinks, and the recommended course of action was to reset Internet settings, so I guess that is what caused this problem.

Thank you so much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:48 pm 

Thanks once again for your help!

Slightly off-topic for this, but something I just noticed which is interesting to me. In the Windows Folder Options, the option that indicates "Display the full path in the title bar (classic theme only)" actually does have an impact even when using Windows 7 theme. Even though the Title Bar is unaffected, the Aero peek view when you highlight an explorer item on the taskbar, does actually change, depending on this option's value. If it is checked, then the Aero peek displays the full path; if not, then the Aero peek only displays the current folder's title.

Just thought I'd mention this, in case it interests anyone.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:24 pm 

From Classic Explorer settings, Title bar tab, you can add the title to Explorer windows by checking the first option. Then if the full path option is checked in Folder Options, the full path will show in the title bar as well.

Compare Start Menus