It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:30 pm 

I've only been using Classic Shell Explorer for a short time under Win7 x64.

I was surprised to find with the status bar tweak enabled, details of media files are still missing.

MP4, MKV, AVI files show the type, size and length only. Under XP it will show video, audio and subtitle codecs/format.

I'd have to check, but my memory seems to say that the same was true for the tooltip when you hover over these files.
I'd like to see that return if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

The text for both the tooltip and the status bar come from the OS. Classic Shell has no control over it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:03 pm 

The information is available via the OS if you right-click, select properties, and click on the details tab. Can the information be extracted from there?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Sure, but then I'll have to write custom handlers for every file type. There are hundreds interesting file types.
The status bar shows the same text as the tooltip, which is exactly how XP used to work. It is just that the OS has decided to generate simpler text, probably for performance reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:05 pm 

Media details in the status bar and in the Details pane can be easily shown by installing Property Handlers and then by simply editing the Registry. It is not necessary to add any extra support to Classic Shell to display them.

First, you just need to have the appropriate Property Handlers installed for those file types. Installing these is recommended because even though Windows itself ships with property handlers for many formats, overall less properties are exposed in Explorer compared to third party property handlers.

AudioShell 2.0 (free) installs property handlers for audio formats (3GP, AIF, AIFF, APE, ASF*, DSF, FLAC, M4A, M4B, M4P, M4V*, MP+, MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4*, MPC, OFR, OFS, OGG, SPX TTA, WAV*, WMA, WMV*, WV) .

Similarly, Icaros (free) installs property handlers for some audio and video formats (MKA, MKV, OGG/OGV/OGM*, FLV, RM, AVI/DIVX, *APE, FLAC*, MPC*).

After installing these property handlers, what the tooltip/infotip shows can be controlled by editing the Registry. Additionally, you can also tweak what the Details Pane shows.

I will explain with an example of one file type: AVI

Go to the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi

There, you will see string values, ExtendedTileInfo, FullDetails, InfoTip and PreviewDetails. These control what properties are shown respectively in the Explorer Content view, Properties Details tab, Tooltip and Details Pane.

Edit the value of "Infotip" to add or remove properties which you want to show in the status bar (Status bar and infotip display the same thing). Repeat this for more file types you want and add the properties that you want to show. That's it, you don't even need to restart Explorer for changes to take effect.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:37 am 

Thanks, GauravK, I already
had Icaros installed and I had no idea it put that stuff in the details pane (I keep it turned off).

I also didn't realize you have to really stretch your window to SEE all the details.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:45 am 

Yes, the property handlers have to be enabled in Icaros, and the Explorer Details pane turned on and set to Medium or Large size.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:44 pm 

I'd still rather have that stuff succinctly turn up in the status bar than the bloated Details Pane. But I guess Win7 is all about trade offs.
Or give ups since I've yet to find a real advantage over XP.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:40 pm 

As I mentioned above, you can make it show any info you want in the status bar. Edit the InfoTip value in the Registry for that file type and that same info will show in the status bar.

Compare Start Menus