It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:50 am 

What is the pane or dialog window called that is just under the toolbar. In your screenshots page it has buttons called organize and views.

Can I get rid of it?

How to get rid of all extra stuff in the folders view. The explorer keeps opening into a folder or view, I don't need or want. I don't want to see libraries in the explorer folder view.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 am 

That is called the Command Bar and Microsoft does not allow it to be disabled unless system files are patched. There is a dangerous way to disable it: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-make-folder-band-auto-hidden-in-windows-vista (not supported by Classic Shell).

Classic Explorer's toolbar has buttons for all Explorer views, you can only add the ones you want.

To apply a view for all folders of a type (General Items, Documents, Music, Pictures), go to Tools menu -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Apply to Folders button.

Libraries can't be disabled but if you use Win+E, it will open at Computer folder.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:37 pm 

Thank you. Just what I thought, the most irritating features are hardest to remove

It seems like Microsoft is at war against users, at least against experienced users.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:36 am 

GauravK wrote:
To apply a view for all folders of a type (General Items, Documents, Music, Pictures), go to Tools menu -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Apply to Folders button.

What program are you using here? Is not Classic Shell Explorer settings.

Harry

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:02 am 

ac1210 wrote:

What program are you using here? Is not Classic Shell Explorer settings.

Harry

I was referring to Windows Explorer (File Explorer). Here's a step by step tutorial on how you can set a folder view in Explorer for all folders: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-set-a-folder-view-in-explorer-for-all-folders-list-details-tiles-small-or-large-icons/

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:07 pm 

GauravK wrote:

I was referring to Windows Explorer (File Explorer). Here's a step by step tutorial on how you can set a folder view in Explorer for all folders: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-set-a-folder-view-in-explorer-for-all-folders-list-details-tiles-small-or-large-icons/

GauravK:

Thanks for the link. Not being able to set them all as I want in Win 7 has been a big frustration to me. I don't have a Customize tab in my Win 7 (using Classic Shell), but I was able to do everything without it. I have not gotten to the Libraries yet but I will [they are a big frustration to me--I don't really understand how they work].

And I looked at all your posts on the Winaero site. There are some great suggestions there.

Thanks for all the work you do to help dummies like me.

Harry

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:14 pm 

If you open the Properties of a folder from inside a Library, there will be no Customize tab shown. Instead if you go to C:\Users\<your user name>\Documents or Music or Pictures, then the Customize tab *will* be shown in Properties.

Compare Start Menus