It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:43 am 

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a custom toolbar button to open a specific folder.

So far, after browsing through the forum, I've figured out how to create a toolbar button that links to any of the system folders. However, that custom button actually isn't a button but a drop-down menu. For example, I now know how to create a toolbar 'button' that is actually a drop-down menu for my 'Links' (windows explorer favorites). The button has a drop-down arrow to the right of it. Clicking the button itself does nothing. Clicking the drop-down arrow shows me all of my 'Links' items and then clicking on one of those Links items opens the corresponding folder in Explorer.

However, what I'd really like is an actual button that when clicked opens a specific folder in Explorer. Not a drop-down menu of the folder's contents, but just take me to that folder.

I want to create a dozen or so of these buttons, one for each of the folders I'm interested in. Note that the folders I'm interested in are not system folders.

Is this possible?

I'm on Win7 64-bit, in case it matters.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

You can create a new custom button with the command "open <the folder>".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:08 am 

Thanks, Ivo. So simple, yet I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 am 

The command is there in the list of toolbar commands but it just says "Open". Maybe it could say "Open folder". The localized text for that is in shell32.dll.mui -> menu resource -> 402 -> MenuItem 517.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.