It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 am 

When navigating around in folders, I'll change the folder I'm in to "Detailed View" but then click into another one and it will switch to "Icon View". The little research I did told me that in XP there was an option to not "Remember Each Folders View Settings" but it was removed in Vista/Win7. Does Classic Shell for Explorer have an option to disable this function? If not, is it a feature that can be added in a future release? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 am 

As I understand you wish to apply the same view to all folders - Details view?

In Windows 7, Windows 8 and Vista, folder view settings are saved for 5 different folder "templates" depending on their content. So open five folders, one each of the 5 types - containing General/Miscellaneous files, Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos. Set the view to whatever you want, then open Folder Options from *that folder*. Folder Options is located under Tools Menu (Windows 7/Vista) or the View tab on the Ribbon (Windows 8). In Folder Options, switch to View tab and click "Apply to all folders". This should make it save the setting for all folders of that content type. Repeat this once for each of these five folders types.

However, if you change any particular folder's view after this, it will be remembered for that specific folder.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm 

If I'm working with files for example, I'd prefer to use detailed view. However, if I'm working with pictures or folders that might have pictures in it, I'd prefer to stick with Thumbnails. I did a bit more research and I think the term I'm referring to is "Remember Each Folders View Settings". This was an option in Windows XP that you could 'uncheck' and then whatever view mode you're using at that moment, it would be no matter what folder you go into. I guess I was hoping that Classic Shell might have a similar option so if I open Windows Explorer, I could switch to detailed view and it would stay that way no matter what folder I pop into. Alternatively I could do the same with thumbnail view instead of it switching back and forth automatically depending on what it thinks I want.