It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 pm 

Hi.

Sigh, I wasted over 2 hours searching here and on google trying to figure this out. And it's possibly a really dumb question, but...

I was trying to create a Custom toolbar button that would create a subdirectory with a specific name, e.g. "My Irrelevant Files"

And every time I click the button, it would create the "My Irrelevant Files" folder within whatever folder I'm currently at.

I've tried putting in the Command line: mkdir "My Irrelevant Files"
but it didn't seem to take.

When I double-click a folder, is it possible to make explorer NOT expand/show ALL the folders in the Navigation pane? I know it does not expand all if the directory has many many subfolders.
P.S. Yes, I've taken off the "Show all folders" option.

After I do a search and I double-click a folder from the search results, is it possible to have explorer show the full/correct directory in the address bar?
e.g., it will show something like:
search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20WD%20USB2%20(M%3A)&crumb=location:M%3A%5C\My Irrelevant Files

instead of the correct directory "M:\the real folder name here\some subdirectory\My Irrelevant Files"
Yes, I clicked on the Disable breadcrumbs if that makes any difference.

Can someone help a brother out? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:24 pm 

#1 Try the command:
cmd /c mkdir "%1\My Irrelevant Files"

#2 In Folder Options, there is an option 'Automatically expand to current folder' right next to 'Show all folders'. Isn't that what you want? :)

#3 Unfortunately, that's the way the retarded Windows Search and its address bar works. The only way to keep the address bar normal is right clicking on the folder in search results -> Open folder location and then press Enter.

Or, another workaround I use for this is merging this reg tweak:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\RootExplore]
@="E&xplore from here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\RootExplore\Command]
@="explorer.exe /e,/root,shell:Desktop /select,\"%1\""

Then when I right click a folder, I get a 'Explore from here' option in the context menu of search results. It opens the folder in a new window but the address bar no longer includes "Search results in...".

If the search you perform is not recursive (folder you search is not inside a subfolder), then you could also use StExBar to search instead of the Explorer search box. It has a filter box (Ctrl+K) that searches only the items in the current folder. The only limitation is that it doesn't search subdirectories. The benefit is that the address bar won't change to show search-ms://..

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 pm 

GauravK wrote:
#1 Try the command:
cmd /c mkdir "%1\My Irrelevant Files"

#2 In Folder Options, there is an option 'Automatically expand to current folder' right next to 'Show all folders'. Isn't that what you want? :)

#3 Unfortunately, that's the way the retarded Windows Search and its address bar works. The only way to keep the address bar normal is right clicking on the folder in search results -> Open folder location and then press Enter.

Or, another workaround I use for this is merging this reg tweak:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\RootExplore]
@="E&xplore from here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\RootExplore\Command]
@="explorer.exe /e,/root,shell:Desktop /select,\"%1\""

Then when I right click a folder, I get a 'Explore from here' option in the context menu of search results. It opens the folder in a new window but the address bar no longer includes "Search results in...".

If the search you perform is not recursive (folder you search is not inside a subfolder), then you could also use StExBar to search instead of the Explorer search box. It has a filter box (Ctrl+K) that searches only the items in the current folder. The only limitation is that it doesn't search subdirectories. The benefit is that the address bar won't change to show search-ms://..

sweet, thanks. #1 works like a charm and I learned a little about syntax.

#2: no, sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I don't want the NavPane to show all the folders of the same leve.
i.e. If I double click a folder, most of the time the Navigation Pane will expand to show ALL the OTHER folders (of the same level). BUT if there are already a ton of other folders of the same level, it will only expand to show the folder I double-clicked. That's what I want.
(At x number of folders, explorer will only expand the one(s) I've double-clicked on. I was wondering how to change the value x to a smaller number. It just makes it easier for me to do stuff if I don't have a ton of other folders (of the same level) in the way.)

#3: I no longer need this part since I've installed Everything, which is a MUCH better search engine. Thanks anyway.

For others who read this and try to follow the instructions, there was no "RootExplore" part in my registry. I'm on Windows 7 x64. From one similar thread in sevenforums, I noted that win7-x64 had a different set of instructions?

Thanks for taking the time to help, GauravK! 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:25 pm 

Yes Everything is outstanding :P I would love to see it integrated some day into Classic Shell but it's up to Ivo to decide that. :) It doesn't do content searches but is really awesome at file name-only indexing by directly reading the MFT.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:52 am 

As for #2, for me, if I use the right side file pane, then the navigation pane expands to show only those folders that I visit in the right pane.

Compare Start Menus