It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:34 pm 

Hello, I would've thought that this option would exist in Classic Explorer.

I am wondering how I can remove that arrow, since I don't really use the Quick Access Toolbar; I'm more old-school, and love simple visuals, I like the folder's icon/picture by itself in the top left side of Explorer's window. If you're a bit confused about what I'm talking about, refer to the picture that I attached.

Can you help me find that option in Classic Shell please? If it doesn't exist yet, is there an alternative way that I can remove it (for example, in the Registry, etc...)?

Attachments:
Quick Access Toolbar Arrow.png
Quick Access Toolbar Arrow.png [ 3.54 KiB | Viewed 13563 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

The arrow is part of the ribbon. You can't remove it. You may be able to find the image it uses (maybe somewhere in Explorer.exe, I don't know) and make it all transparent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:54 pm 

Hmm, thanks for the reply Ivo. If I'm not mistaken, you're the creator of this program. Thanks for that, it's great.

Do you think that maybe if you have time or get bored or something, you can look into a method of hiding that arrow in a future release of Classic Shell?

That would really make my Explorer look more.. classic =)

Thanks for reading that lame joke right above this sentence, and thanks if you will consider it or so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Look for tools named "ribbon disabler". No ribbon, no arrow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 pm 

Ah, I see. I tried out that program you were referring to. So it would be a matter of preference of those choices:
1) I can have the ribbon, yet that would keep that little QAT arrow, or
2) I can switch it off, and it would remove the File, Home, Share, etc... buttons and replace them with an old school drop down list.

Darn. I wish I had a combination of the two, haha. Maybe I can look for some "Ribbon Customizer" program out there. If anyone has any suggestions of something like that, that would be pretty cool.
And Ivo, maybe you ask that person and see if you can implement that option in Classic Shell, since I'm sure some people would like different views of their Explorer. It's up to you though, just a suggestion. (I wouldn't really get much out of it, since I prefer most of the features of the Ribbon.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:46 pm 

Why do you need File, Home, Share when you have the Classic Explorer toolbar? :) You can put all the commands you need on the Classic Explorer toolbar and banish the Ribbon which splits them across multiple tabs and tons of wasted space on the right.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:16 pm 

Loldvertisement for Classic Explorer =P

I don't have anything against Classic Explorer, I just like the visual theme that Microsoft uses for their buttons and all, with the pictures and everything. And I'm really used to it, even though I don't use it as much. I just wish that Microsoft can create one huge program with so many different customizations that one can do to their system... kinda like a Local Group Policy program for all the visual things, and have previews of what it would do and stuff.