It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:09 am 

Hallo Classic Shell community,

could you please tell me, how it is possible to make Classic Explorer Bar disable by default ?
So each new Window user would not have it in Explorer window.

I am surprised overall, why it is On by default, and why there is no option
in Setting to make it Off, even in group policy.

p.s.: I am sorry, if I am not the first who makes this question, but unfortunately, it is impossible (technickaly) something to find here:

Search string: classic explorer bar

“The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: bar explorer classic.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:07 am 

To disable the Classic Explorer bar, keep only one Explorer window open. Then,

On Windows 7: Press Alt+V to open the View menu. Open the "Toolbars" sub-menu and uncheck "Classic Explorer Bar".

For Windows 8: Press Alt+V to open the View tab of the Ribbon. Click on the down arrow in the "Options" section. Uncheck "Classic Explorer Bar".

The forum software's search sucks. To search efficiently, use Google. e.g. in Google's search box, type:
Disable Classic Explorer bar site:classicshell.net/forum

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Admin

You may be able to do it by editing this registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\CLSID"
If you delete the value "{553891B7-A0D5-4526-BE18-D3CE461D6310}" it will make the toolbar disabled by default and Internet Explorer ask if you want to enable it.
If you set it to 0 the toolbar will be disabled and users can't enable it.

You can also set "ShowedToolbar" to 1 in HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicExplorer. It will prevent the initial showing of the toolbar the first time you run Windows Explorer. At the moment there is no way to set this setting for everybody and it needs to be set per user.

And of course if you don't want any of the Classic Explorer functionality, just don't install it :) Uncheck it during installation of Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 am 

Classic Explorer Bar can't be unchecked, it goes together with Up Button (in Classic Explorer set), which I do want to have.

But, I believe I got the answer.
I will try with the registry now.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:21 am 

You haven't stated your Windows version.

There are two Up buttons - one which is added to the title bar on Windows 7 and Vista, and another Up button is there on the Explorer toolbar on Windows 7/8/Vista.

It is easily possible to turn off the Explorer toolbar while retaining the Up button in the Title bar as this screenshot proves:

Attachments:
Classic Shell Up button.png
Classic Shell Up button.png [ 53.22 KiB | Viewed 34934 times ]

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 am 

I am Installing Classic Shell at domain computers, and I want for each user to have this button.

But for the each new user Explorer window looks like this. The whole extra pannel appears because of Classic Explorer Bar.

For average user Explorer window should look exactly as on a "clean" Windows, Just a standart window, without extra basr or something.

I can switch it off for myself in 1 second, but it is impossible to change it for every user in domain.

Attachments:
Image2.png
Image2.png [ 40.43 KiB | Viewed 34932 times ]
Image1.png
Image1.png [ 33.21 KiB | Viewed 34932 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:45 am 

In early versions of Classic Shell, the Explorer toolbar was disabled by default and everyone constantly asked us how to enable it and why it wasn't enabled by default if they had chosen to install Classic Explorer. It is one of the core features of Classic Explorer, which is why the default was set to be enabled.

If you are using a domain, please push this registry file to all computers in the domain using Group Policy and all toolbars and menu bars will be disabled:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\ShellBrowser]
"ITBar7Layout"=-

This along with "ShowedToolbar" set to 1 as Ivo mentioned above should keep it disabled. :)

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:25 am 

Ok. Thank you.
I'll try that.

Why not just add this to Setting in further versions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:29 am 

The ITBar7Layout value is a Windows setting, not a Classic Shell setting. It turns off ALL toolbars by default, not just the Classic Shell one.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 am 
Site Admin

I have put it on my list to add a setting to prevent the initial showing of the bar. It will probably be admin-only setting that needs to be set through GPO or by editing the registry.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:52 am 

Great. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:11 am 

In Classic Shell 4.2.0, there is a New GPO setting "No initial showing of the toolbar" to prevent the showing of the toolbar when Explorer is opened for the first time.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:51 am 

Hi there,

i tried this new GPO with a Server2012 on a Windows 8.1. But so far its not gonna work.
even im asking myself if this policy can be activated to existing users!?

does anybody have a registry hack/setting to disable showing up the explorer bar, without disable the hole addon integrity?

i couldnt find anything on the net yet...
would be great thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:11 am 
Site Admin

No, the policy only controls what to do the first time. Once a toolbar is shown, Explorer remembers it.

Go to HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicExplorer, make a new DWORD named "NoInitialToolbar" and set it to 1.
Make sure you are using a version of Classic Shell either 4.2.0 or 4.2.1.

If that doesn't work, you may try blacklisting the toolbar with GUID {553891B7-A0D5-4526-BE18-D3CE461D6310}. I don't know how exactly this is done. There may be a GPO for it. I'm sure there are some tutorials online.

And if that doesn't work, you can completely uninstall Classic Explorer, if all you need is the start menu.

I think this is the place:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\CLSID

Try adding a DWORD named {553891B7-A0D5-4526-BE18-D3CE461D6310} and value 0. I think 0 means disabled, 1 is enabled, and 2 is "let the user decide".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:21 am 

Ivo wrote:
Go to HKLM\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicExplorer, make a new DWORD named "NoInitialToolbar" and set it to 1.

thats working perfect. thank u ;)