It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:42 pm 

I just installed classic shell on my windows 8 pc
I have installed it on many system builds, but haven't come across this yet.
normally at the start menu it shows Programs>, Apps> and a selection at the top for metro start screen...
when I installed it, it only had Programs>
No Apps> or Metro Start Screen selection.

I've tried restoring to default settings uninstalling and reinstalling etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

I don't understand what you mean by "metro start screen selection". There was never such feature in Classic Shell.
Can you provide screenshots from a system that works and a system that doesn't?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 pm 

though its not added, that would be a decent idea IVO, a button that takes the user directly to the metro screen from within the start menu, rather than having to do shift/click (some people like to browse with mouse only) :P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 pm 

I know that the Ninite installer puts a shortcut to the Start screen in their "distro" of Classic Shell which only includes the Start Menu. rileyper, did you install it from Ninite? Anyways, if you don't see Apps, you can go to Customize Start Menu tab in Start Menu settings and drag "Apps" from the right column to where to want it in the left column and click OK.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:30 am 

GauravK wrote:
I know that the Ninite installer puts a shortcut to the Start screen in their "distro" of Classic Shell which only includes the Start Menu. rileyper, did you install it from Ninite? Anyways, if you don't see Apps, you can go to Customize Start Menu tab in Start Menu settings and drag "Apps" from the right column to where to want it in the left column and click OK.

I'm not finding apps in the right column

as for screenshot i'm at work unfortunately, but i found 2 images of what it looks like
Windows 8 screen i meant windows 8 menu
and the apps next to programs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 am 
Site Admin

You have 3 options:
1) Switch to one of the two Classic styles. You will get Apps right next to Programs
2) Open the All Programs list. There is Apps sub-menu there
3) Enable the Apps item in the right column from the Customize Start Menu tab

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 am 

To add the apps menu:
right click your start button, check 'all settings' or whatever its called
go to the customize start menu tab, and move the 'apps' item from the right field to between what you want it in the left field. Press OK

as for adding a 'show metro screen' button, im not entirely sure how to do this (other than download a 3rd party tool that can show the start screen, and linking to it)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 am 
Site Admin

The command "ClassicStartMenu.exe -togglenew" will open the start screen. The easiest is to make a copy of the Classic Start Menu Settings shortcut and replace the command line from -settings to -togglenew. Customize the icon to taste, then pin to the start menu (or the taskbar, or the desktop, whatever).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 am 

rileyper, which version of Classic Shell are you using? Are you using 3.6.x series or are you using the beta? Are you using Ninite to install it? If you are using 3.6.8 or the "Classic" style in the beta 3.9.0, then you will find the Apps item on the Customize Start Menu tab's right column. Drag to the left column.

If you are using the beta 3.9.0 build and using Windows 7 style, then go to Customize Start Menu tab and you will see a "Metro Apps" item. Change it to "Display as a menu".

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.