It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:57 am 

There have been several time where I have used the search box to find a program and when i go to click on it more search results show up and the item I am clicking on moves.

I often end up opening the wrong program.

Can this be changed so that the new results load at the end of list instead of moving everything above them up?

There was one point that I suggested this program to some one and they uninstalled it because of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:40 pm 

Not that I'm aware of. if the drives are properly indexed this should be a non-issue, as all the files should be visible from the start.
Classic shell DOES support alternative search engines which may or may-not solve the issue... (if indexing doesnt help)

Below is from the classic shell help file(right click the start button and select 'help'

Search

'picture im not pasting over'

The search box lets you search the contents of the start menu, the programs in the PATH environment variable and the indexed files. You can have the search box appear as a normal menu item and then you can get to it using the up/down arrow keys. You can choose to have the search box selected by default when you open the start menu. Or you can choose to activate the search box only with the Tab key, so until you press Tab you can use the keyboard for navigation as if the search box is not there.

The search results show in the main menu if you are using the Windows 7 style or in a sub-menu for the classic styles.
Click on each category to expand it and see more results. Click on the icon at the end to view all results in Explorer.

The classic styles allow you to register additional "search providers", which you can use to search for the text from the search box. You run the search program either by selecting it from the menu, or by pressing Alt+key. In this example use Alt+A for Agent Ransack.

This is done by adding sub-items of the SearchBoxItem in the Customize Start Menu tab:

Open each of the sub-items and enter a command to start the search program. If you use %1 in the command, it will be replaced by the contents of the search box. If you use %2 it will be replaced by the url-style encoded search text. Enter a label, tip, and icon to complete your menu entry. In the label text you can use & to mark the accelerator character (for example &Agent Ransack).

Here are a few possible commands:
Search with Agent Ransack: "C:\Program Files\Agent Ransack\AgentRansack.exe" -r -f "%1"
Search with Everything: "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -search "%1"
Search with Google: http://www.google.com/#q=%2
Search with Bing: http://www.bing.com/search?q=%2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 am 

I am not doing anything custom with the search box. This happens with the default options.

for instance: if I click the start button and type "word" to search the start menu for Microsoft Word it brings up options with headers of "Programs", "Settings" and "Documents". I move the mouse over to the Microsoft Word item on the menu. and then the "Files" section comes in and the item under my mouse is "Manage Windows Credentials" This means that I have just enough time to move the mouse and decide to click then the item under my mouse changes.

If my start menu was moved to the top of the screen instead of the default at the bottom this would not be an issue since the new results would not move the old ones.

Perhaps it would work to make results sort from bottom to top when the start menu is on the bottom of the screen?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:00 am 

Do you have a hard disk drive or an SSD? I suggest you move to an SSD since it's 2019. That should mostly resolve this slow search/results jumping issue.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:37 am 

I have an SSD.

This happens on every computer I have installed classic shell on. The delay is not long, only about 2 seconds, but it is long enough that I can move my mouse to the result I want and then have the result move up before I can click it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:08 am 

Since Classic Shell is no longer under development since 2017, I can only suggest you to try various search options in its Settings to see if they make a difference.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.