It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Need some setup help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:33 pm 

I just installed the 8.1 preview and also came across the Forbes write up on the Classic Shell. If I understand right, should the computer , after the password input, land on a Win 7 desk top ?

Forbes mentioned ,on the "all settings" and in the Windows 8 tab , that there would be a selection to skip the Metro screen . It's not there , was it moved?

Thanks for any help

Post subject: Re: Need some setup help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

The setting is not available for 8.1, since Windows has a built-in setting for that. Right-click on the taskbar and go to Properties.The new version of Classic Shell controls the Windows 8.1 built-in setting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:08 pm 

Thanks for the tip

What are your feelings of Win 7 vs. Win 8 as far as an operating system?

Not that I want to change from 7, it's a matter that if it's better I'd keep it

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:09 pm 

Meant to say that I'd keep 8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:13 pm 

pbman1953 wrote:

What are your feelings of Win 7 vs. Win 8 as far as an operating system?

I will state my opinion anyways. It depends on what matters to you. Are you a touch screen fanatic ready to embrace anything new MS creates and adapt to it giving up a lot of things you used? Or is having continuity of what you're used to more important to you? For me, Windows 8.1 is not better than Windows 7 for desktop users in any way. If you are interested in the Metro side, then it might be of relevance but Microsoft is a bunch of ^%$#@!. You never know what's coming from them, what will get reimagined, omitted or "improved". :D Windows 8 is just different. Not improved, but different, it doesn't maintain continuity of a whole lot of things. Different doesn't mean better for me. I don't trust Microsoft one bit to not reimagine it again and screw everyone forcing them to get used to something else.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:57 pm 

I noticed that 8 little more bright in terms of opening and closing programs, as well as responsiveness of the GUI, including the windows explorer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 am 

id have to argue windows 8 is better, after its been modified of course with classic shell and a handful of 'tweaks', although not good enough to warrant the 40$ cost to upgrade :P (though i wouldn't downgrade or anything)
a few of the features are pretty handy (new copy dialog i kinda like, and new taskmanager to name some examples)
although, the default theme is fairly ugly in my opinion, and a custom theme only mask some of the problems (i havnt found a theme that changes the copy dialog or the control panel to something less 'flat'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 am 

Guys

I'm performance driven first, gadgets and apps second. What that means is that I'll use the Metro when I'm board or want some "pretty" news and info. I'll never run out and a get a touch compatible monitor. I'm a desktop user and have no use for the touch screen. That's better for the phone and maybe a laptop. I'll have the computer start up to stop on regular desktop screen.

I guess my question is which one has the better motor under the hood

As Always, Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 am 

windows 8 boots considerably faster, generally runs slightly faster on similar hardware, and takes about 2/3's the resources to run.
windows 7 is currently a little more stable, because its been around.., it also has quite a few more things running in the background taking up resources.. neither will do you wrong on decent hardware.. but if your hareware is dated (if you only have 1gb of ram, and a core2duo under 2ghz i would definitely suggest windows 8..
but if your running an i5/i7 duel over 2.5ghz its doubtful you will notice much of a performance difference especially in games. with exception to boot times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:42 am 

Not a gamer

My hardware is:

AMD Phenom 965 - 3.4GZ

8 gig ram

Geforce GT 610 video

GigabyteGA-MA785GM-US2H board

Intel 320 SS HD- 80 gig- Boot times are not an issue, it's fast start up wise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:51 am 

well your systems good enough for either to preform fine, 80gb of space might be a your pinch point (though if this is a desktop its not to hard to add another hard drive) :P)
I would recommend windows 8, if just for the install size (it takes 10~gb with a clean install, compared to about 15 gb for windows 7),

with windows 8, Metro can be almost totally ignored with the help of classic shell...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:10 am 

just under 50% of the SS HD is used. I have 33GB left. Typically I use an out board USB drive and a Network drive for data storage.

I could of waited for the 120 GB to come down in price but I was itchy to get into SS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 pm 

yea ssds have a bit of a slowdown @ over 50% usage :P, but its not a huge deal, Also as long as you have another way to store data 80 should be fine if your not installing games (some of which can be 10-15gb each)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:19 am 

I'm fully installed Classic Shell and all. I've gained 14 gig by installing Win 8.1.