It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:46 pm 

Just bought new desktop with Win8 and am totally dissatisfied with it and I hope that this program helps, but would like to really find out something about it other than it giving me the Start Mode...

If I am looking at my old WinXP desktop I know what's behind the screen, meaning that when programs open they do so a certain way with their own look...also, when I copy files to folders or to the desktop they download with their own look onto the desktop. If I click on the My Computer Icon it opens up and presents me with noticeable selections that I can open up.

My question is, does this shell program "only" provide my widows 8 with the "look" of XP and nothing more, that is, in relationship to what I spoke about above or, are there any features in shell that mask win8 to be more involved as winXP?

Hope this isn't too confusing!
Thanks ahead of time for any input.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately it is (too confusing).
What exactly are you after?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm 

on win8 classic shell doesn't even replace the file copy dialog (yet at least)
as for using the start menus search, at least in the newest versions it does initiate a windows search behind the scenes, and just display the results. (it definitely uses the windows search index)

as far as a start menu, it can be set to reproduce either cascading start menu (the sub-menus come out of the side of their parents), or the inline/windows 7 style
the only modifications it makes to explore windows (when you open my computer) is adding a toolbar, that can have customized buttons) (windows 8 already allows for an up arrow)

any other questions might need to be more specific, or you can just try the program out yourself :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:14 pm 

Guess I'll just have to try out the program and see what happens...
thanks for all the comments...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:49 pm 

I have used Windows 8 and now 8.1 for many month on my work PC. That means over 8 hours a day of constant use at our software company.

Just trust me...this program made Windows 8 tolerable.

I did not install the Classic Shell Explorer or IE 9 functions as per the Win 8 Explorer is good enough for me.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!