It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:02 am 

I have a Laptop with Windows 8.1. After installing Classic Shell I have no access to my PCs Webcam. When I try to open it from the Metro GUI it opens a window,but no camera function. It was working perfectly before and the same goes for PC settings ect.

What is the solution for this issue? I used Classic Shell 4.3.0 for I heard rumors that the current release may have been hacked.

I have a job interview and one part will be using my webcam to interface with one of the hiring managers.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Mike :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 am 

You can be 100% sure that Classic Shell didn't affect your Camera app even if it was a coincidence that it stopped working at the exact moment. Metro apps are isolated and run in a sandbox and Win32 apps can't even interact with them.

The current version of Classic Shell is not hacked. You can verify the authenticity of the installer by right clicking it -> Properties. Make sure it has a Digital Signatures tab, the name of the signer is Ivaylo Beltchev and that the signature and its certificate are valid. If it's tampered with or hacked, Windows UAC will show you that the installer is unsigned.

To get your camera app working, you could try System Restore. Open the Run dialog by pressing Win key+R and type: Rstrui and press Enter.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:43 am 

I have been using Classic Shell for quite awhile and upon install, about a year ago, the camera stopped working upon install. I can't go back that far re: system restore.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:16 am 

As I said earlier, Classic Shell did not break your Camera app :P - something else did that happened at the same time as when you installed Classic Shell but you are not believing that. The only process that Classic Shell affects is Explorer.exe.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:05 pm 

Apparently this isn't true anymore, with this hackers can use a proper certificate.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/18/1632 ... e-security

I think that you can still use your webcam though. Try to see if it works in Skype or some other webcam program.