It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Missing Text in Explorer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:49 am 

I’ve got a strange issue with ClassicShell. I’ve got it running well on Windows 10 but say every 1 in 50 times a user logs on to the PC all text is missing from everywhere desktop icons, start menu, file explorer all the images are there but no text or you can just see the text faintly. After a reboot all is fine again. This issue is happening on multiple PC and happens for all users on that PC until it’s rebooted. I cant find any way to trigger this bug but I did manage to export the registry of on if he PCs both with and without the issue happening but I can see any obvious differences.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 am 

Why do you think this is related to Classic Shell? Does it happen when the Start Menu is not running and when Classic Shell Explorer extensions are disabled? Classic Shell only adds a Start menu, some Taskbar modifications and Explorer addons. It does not replace File Explorer or modify desktop icons or the Explorer shell's text rendering.

This can be a graphics driver issue or a problem with the disastrous and crappy Windows 10.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:28 am 

Yep the windows 10 start menu is an issue that’s why I’ve turned to classic shell to keep it working. This issue only happens to PCs with Classic shell installed I’m thinking i should try just installing the classic shell start menu and not the full classic shell but I need to deploy it though group policy and I don’t know how to deploy just the start menu from the msi.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:05 pm 

To test if Classic Shell is the cause, you can temporarily exit the menu. Right click the Start button and choose Exit or run it with the following switch:
C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe -exit

If your problem persists, then it's not caused by Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:16 pm 

Cheers will give that a try usually logging on and off dosent fix it but a restart does and then the PC can be fine for a few weeks until it happens again. It’s so annoying as it’s intermittent and I can’t trigger it to happen.