It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:29 pm 

Good day.

Ever since the "Minimum Menu Height" setting was added to Classic Start Menu I have been having a hard time understanding it.
The help bubble says it is the minimum number of search results to show.

I recently cleared my UserAssist, so now "Minimum Menu Height" is again relevant until I run 15 programs from the Start Menu. I set my Minimum at 18, which should roughly make my menu the same height as when I have 15 Frequent Programs and 3 pinned programs. Anyway, with Minimum=18 I do a search, and the result is NOT 18 results, it is more like 15 results if we include the category headers, and 16 if we include the extra "search for more" at the bottom. Neither of which is 18. I could increase the Minimum value until I do see 18 results, but that is not the point; the point is: I do not understand this value; it does not seem to be the minimum number of search results :-(

Screenshots:
Simple search for TEST
Search for TEST in a single category

Thank you.
Best Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 pm 

Don't overthink it :P It is what it is, the menu height. Consider the value as just a number which increases the height. The search results that fit in it *will vary* depending on the small/large icon size, and how many search providers you have added. On my PC, the minimum menu height is 20 but I have 8 search providers defined and icon size of 40 so it can show only 6 search results excluding the category headers.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:31 pm 

Hahaha, well, I wanted to know why I had to pick 21 to show 18 results ;-) Indeed, icon size changes things, but then Minimum Menu Height is not the minimum number of search results, because otherwise the icon size would just make the menu bigger for the same minimum. Oh well, we shall never know what that setting really is; perhaps just a base number of pixels multiplied by the value we give...

Best Regards,