It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:01 pm 

When I had installed Classic Shell v.4.3.0 on the initial installation of Win 10x64 (in a dual boot with Win 7x64), it worked fine.

However, that Win 10 installation developed other problems, and I had to delete its partition and start over. I re-installed Windows 10, and it seemed to go okay (except that the Windows boot menu also lists the older, removed Win 10 boot choice-that doesn't work. Booting from the newer Win 10 choice does start Win 10.) My plan is to deal with removing the old Win 10 listing later.

I soon installed Classic Shell on this new, working installation of Windows 10, but every time I click on the Start button, it doesn't show the Classic Shell. The Programs' listing in the Win 10 Start does show that Classic Shell has been installed, but it doesn't actually show the Classic Shell formatting; it is still the Win 10 look.

I have gone into the Settings for Classic Shell, double-checked that its settings were to my liking, but nothing changes when I click on the Start button immediately or after a re-boot. I even looked for ancillary files and folders associated with Classic Shell, and found one in Program Data folder. I removed it after uninstalling Classic Shell, rebooted and tried again.

It appears, therefore, that Classic Shell is getting installed, as evidenced by the ability to edit its options, but selecting the Start button does NOT show the Classic Shell; it shows the standard Windows 10 Start.

I'd appreciate any ideas any one may have.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 pm 

Just to let people know, I have also read the information about the Classic Shell Utility, and have tried it. No effect. I used it once when I removed everything that had been previously set, rebooted, and re-installed to no avail. Then, I did it again, where I left the settings; it still didn't work.

And all of this is, as far as I know, before knowingly installing the Windows Creator update.

However, I did read that the next release of Classic Shell is configured to work with Windows 10, and I suppose I should wait for it.

If anyone has any other interim suggestions or a probable release date for the update to Classic Shell, please let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:04 am 

Classic Shell 4.3.0 works with Windows 10 Creators Update except for a taskbar skinning issue. You can open Start menu settings and click the Backup button. Click Save to XML files. Upload that XML file here attached inside a ZIP so we can take a look at your settings and find what's wrong.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 pm 

I replied to the email, but I am attaching the file to this as well. Thanks for your help.

Attachments:
Menu Settings 170708.zip [528 Bytes]
Downloaded 757 times
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:29 pm 

It is possible that Classic Start Menu is not launching for you at startup. Follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell. Right click ClassicStartMenu.exe and click Copy. Now close File Explorer.

2. Press Win+R keys to open Run dialog. Type the following and press Enter:
shell:startup

3. A folder will open at this path:
C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

4. In this folder, right click the white area and choose "Paste shortcut".

5. Right click the shortcut to the Start menu that just got created and choose "Properties". Go to the Compatibility tab. Make sure that the following checkbox is UNCHECKED:
"Run this program as an administrator".

Click OK. Now the Start menu should work for you after a reboot when you click the Start button.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:31 am 

Thanks for your information. I followed the directions carefully, but it didn't change anything. I especially made sure that that the "Run this program as an 'Administrator,' was unchecked.

Two other pieces of information may help.

Before I received your reply:

1. I added access to the Administrator User account. Curiously, Classic Shell works fine in that user account. (Perhaps because it is the Administrator user?)

2. However, when logged in as a "normal" user, I noticed that the Classic Shell only opens when I press the Windows key, but it never starts with Windows itself. Each time I want to use Classic Shell, I have to press the Windows key. It helps, but it is not really a solution.

Does any of this information promote any further ideas?

Many thanks for continuing to try to solve this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 am 

I don't understand what you mean by it doesn't start with Windows itself but still Win key opens it? Unless it has started, Win key won't show the Classic menu. If it does not start, then Win key will show the Windows 10 tiles.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:27 am 

Hi,

I was referring to the Windows key on the keyboard. When I am logged in as a regular user, that is the only thing that actually causes the Classic Shell to show, but I have to press that keyboard key every time I want to access Classic Shell. When I am logged in as Administrator, the Classic Shell opens from the Start button on the screen - every time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Log into the account that doesn't work. Run ClassicShellUtility.exe, save a system log and send it to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:24 pm 

Finally, success!

When I got you last email/reply, I checked whether the Classic Shell executable was being run as "Administrator." While it didn't appear to me to be in that state, I decided to, once again, run your utility to completely remove Classic Shell, and all of the associated files. Additionally, I ran several Registry checkers, including CCleaner. It found more stuff, and I got rid of that too.

Then I rebooted, again, and re-installed Classic Shell in the non-Adminstrator (so named) user; note, however, that this other user is also marked as being an administrator, just not "THE" Administrator.

As usual, the installation went fine, and indeed, the Classic Shell configuration came up when I clicked on the Start button. Once set, the Start button opens Classic Shell each time!

Next, I rebooted, and logged in as "The" Administrator user, and again, Classic Shell opened without difficulty!

I don't know what happened originally, but it is all working now.

Thanks for your guidance - and that special Utility!