It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:24 pm 

All of a sudden my Win10 system went back to the Win10 desktop. I tried double clicking on it and that didn't help. Uninstalled Classic Start menu, downloaded a new copy and executed the downloaded .exe and it doesn't come up. Tried clicking on it and it doesn't do anything. HELP!!

Thanks Chris C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:12 am 

Maybe Tablet mode is on. Press Win+A and turn it off. Right click Start button -> Settings and make sure "Left click opens" and "Windows key opens" are set to "Classic Start Menu".

Windows 10 is an extremely problematic system that is designed in such a flawed defective way that eventually updates will break something completely beyond repair. I recommend you upgrade to Windows 8.1 or 7 with Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:58 am 

Gaurav;

I suspected that Tablet mode had been turned on but couldn't find the place where I could turn it off. As soon as I read your Win+A and tried it, I had my solution. Thanks a lot. I hadn't stumbled into the Win+A before.

You're thoughts about Win10 are almost as bad as mine! MicroSlob has been fooling the computer community ever since Win95, though it was seriously flawed and not corrected until Win98SE. WinXP was simply Win98 with a changed interface and the introduction of a lot of bugs and assistance to hackers. Vista was more of that to the point that even MS had to admit it was useless and brought out Win7 and that's the last good Windows from MS. Win8/8.1 was just testing to see if they could actually get away with it and they didn't get the acceptance they thought might occur. Instead of Win10, MS should have just gone back to Win7. Ms has of course, made some improvements and bug fixes since Win98, but nothing that would impede virii and hackers.

This system that is now my main system, came with Win10 and I couldn't get Dell to sell it with Win7 instead. MS has done many things to keep us from replacing Win10 with Win7. Can you point me to a procedure that will replace this Win10 with a Win7 from a previous system or install a Win7 that I've purchased, probably an OEM used by computer manufacturers, perhaps even onto a new disk? As a "plan B", I should probably retain the existing HDD as a fallback when problems raise their ugly head. I also purchased the MS version of Win7 for 3 upgrades, but that will no allow an upgrade from Win10 to Win7.

Regards and thanks Chris Coddington

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:30 pm 

LOL I don't agree with your assessment of Windows 9x and XP. Windows 95 and 98 systems were built on top of MS-DOS but the 16-bit components used co-operative multitasking which relies on CPU time being shared between various processes. Also, parts of memory were not protected from being written to by user-mode apps. That is why the 9x series froze and crashed so much. The Windows NT family (Windows 2000, XP and later) is far sophisticated and its kernel pre-emptively multitasks so it can interrupt running tasks to schedule other tasks (in 9x, only 32-bit components had pre-emptive multitasking). Also NT family has true memory protection where each program is given its own memory space. So XP is a massive step up from 9x.

But yeah after Windows 8, things pretty much got out of hand from a usability perspective. Serious usability flaws were there in Windows Vista and 7 too (which is when Classic Shell was born). Now Windows 10 has messed up many core aspects besides usability. The UWP which is implemented on top of Win32 APIs but is "replacing" it has seriously broken and unusable GUI controls. The API is incomplete and nowhere near Win32. Large parts of the GUI and entire apps are implemented with these broken controls in Windows 10. Microsoft has also messed up the OS servicing (which was already pretty bad since Vista) and bloated it with so much unnecessary crap that CPU, memory, disk and network capabilities of the hardware that people have are constantly violated. Their software is almost untested, unstable, poorly designed, feature-limited crap and has no design considerations for user productivity or usability. As such, Windows 10 is the absolute worst version released so far.

You could install Windows 8.1 and use the drivers for Windows Server 2012 wherever you cannot find native Windows 8.1 drivers. Install Classic Shell and you're good to go for the time being. If you prefer Windows 7, use the drivers for Windows Server 2008 R2 (if your hardware doesn't have native Windows 7 drivers). For Windows 7, you might face some roadblocks. You might need to integrate some drivers like USB 3.0, NVM Express etc into your Windows 7 setup files, and disable UEFI boot in your BIOS, and enable legacy MBR. Windows 8.1 doesn't have these issues - it supports USB 3.0, NVM Express, UEFI, Secure Boot etc so installing it should be easier.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.