It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 pm 

I'm using Classic Shell with Windows 8.1. I placed some Excel files on a network drive. I tried to pin 2 of those files to Excel. Since then, I have found that only the most recently Excel file from that drive will show in the jumplist, and it will show as pinned whether or not it is one of the two files I tried to pin. The same files do show properly on the Recent files list. All Excel files from the c: drive are treated properly.

I have tried the following without success (individually or in combination) to correct the issue:
  • turn off and on Windows' jump lists
  • turn on and off Classic Shell's jump lists
  • delete in my user folder \AppData\Local\ClassicShell\DataCache.db
  • delete the files at %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations and %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
  • uninstall Classic Shell; use CCleaner and manual efforts to purge the registry; reinstall Classic Shell
None of this has helped. Everything works properly except the behavior of the jumplist with z: drive files.

Anyways, I can't figure out how to make things work properly, so I would appreciate help if anyone can offer a solution.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Do you get the same jumplist from the taskbar?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:52 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Do you get the same jumplist from the taskbar?

I had no idea what you meant by "jumplist from the taskbar", so I did a search and learned that one can right-click on a pinned program to see a jumplist. Live and learn. So I pinned Excel and, sure enough, on right-click I got the exact same list and same problematic behavior. I exited Classic Start Menu, and the same (mis)behavior continued. So, does this mean the problem is Windows?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, Excel is in charge of its own jumplist. The start menu (and the taskbar) just show it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 pm 

What version of Excel is this, just curious?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:28 pm 

Excel version is 2002 (from Office XP).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:01 pm 

As a workaround, I have pinned to two files in question to the start menu rather than Excel's jumplist - Classic Shell to the rescue. I will mark this as solved since Classic Shell is not the reason for my unresolved issues. My thanks to those who responded.