It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:12 am 

I am running 4.3.0 on two systems, a laptop and a Surface. On my Surface, I've added a cascading Metro Apps folder to the start menu using the 'Customize Start Menu' tab.

However, on the laptop I've used the same settings and yet this Metro Apps folder does not display. I've tried everything including exporting/importing the settings from the Surface.

Any clues?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:40 am 

What style of the menu are you using - Windows 7 style or Classic with two columns or just Classic? Also, what operating system is your laptop running?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:14 am 

I am running the Windows 7 style, Metro skin, and the 'inside main menu' style setting.

I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on the laptop and Windows 10 Pro on the Surface. Could that be it?

Again, the two systems have these identical settings, and yet one will not display the Metro apps for some reason. Very strange.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:11 am 

That is really strange. Could you post your Settings XML here, attached to this post? Is there any item below the Apps folder and between the Shutdown button that shows?

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:38 am 

Will do. See attached.

I have it set directly above 'Run...'. If I change the setting to any other folder, I get the correct cascading menu. As soon as I set it to Metro Apps it disappears.

Attachments:
Menu Settings.xml [3.42 KiB]
Downloaded 775 times
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:43 am 

Okay here's how you can fix it. Open Start Menu Settings on the PC where the problem occurs.

Switch to the Start Menu Style tab and temporarily choose the "Classic with two columns" style.

Go to the Special Items tab and scroll down till you locate the option "Show Apps menu". Check it.

Now return to the Start Menu Style tab and choose "Windows 7 style" again. Now the Apps folder should return in the right column.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:44 pm 

Hooray! That was it.

Many thanks!!!

:D