It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 am 

Until short, it was possible to copy or move items inside the Classic Start Menu using the right mouse button and then chosing if the item should be copied or moved to the new location in the Start Menu.
Since the last update, this seems not to work any more, I can only COPY items with the right mouse button, which is not always what I want to do.
Anybody any ideas what I do wrong or any help?
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am 

Where are you moving the item from and to which location and on which Windows version? Are you doing right click and drag? How to reproduce your issue? Only items on the file system can be moved, maybe you are trying to move an item defined by a custom command from Customize Start Menu tab? To move that, you must reposition it from the Customize Start Menu tab.

If you are moving a file system shortcut or file, does left click and drag work? Left click and drag will create a shortcut by default, if you hold down Shift and left click drag, it will move and if you hold down Ctrl and left click drag, it will copy.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 am 

I am on Windows 7-64 bit.
Let's say I have a Program Group called "Adobe" and another Group called "Desktop Publishing".
In the group "Adobe" I have a shortcut to the program "Photoshop".
I now want to move this shortcut "Photoshop" out of the group "Adobe" and into the group "Desktop Publishing".
Until now, I grabed the shortcut with my right mouse in "Adobe" and dragged it out from there into the group "Desktop Publishing", and when I released the right mouse button, I would have been asked if I want to copy the shortcut to the new location or if I want to MOVE it there.
If I now do the same (using the right mouse button), upon release of the right mouse button NOTHING happens!
If I use the left mouse-button, the item will be copied without asking me!

This is not a user error or error in the settings, it must come from some (buggy?) change in the programme (which, by the way, is one of the best I have ever seen!).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like a bug. Some changes were made to make the drag/drop more compatible with Windows 8. This may have broken the right-click dragging.

Until this is fixed, hold down Shift while dragging to move. The mouse cursor shows what operation will happen. If you see a small [+] in the corner, it will copy. If you see a small arrow, it will create a shortcut. Otherwise it will move. Keep in mind that creating a shortcut to a shortcut actually copies it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:22 am 

Sorry,
but holding down the shift-key does not change the begaviour!
I guess I will have to wait until the bug is fixed?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:36 am 
Site Admin

The Shift should work. What exactly are you dragging, and from where to where? I will try to replicate your actions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:46 am 

I want to move (or copy) an item inside the Start Menu from one place to another.
e.g.: I want to MOVE the folder "Google Drive" into the folder "Google", so it would become a subfolder of "Google".
Until now I did this using the right mouse button, where then I was asked if I wanted to copy or move the item.
If I now use the right mouse button, nothing happens upon release of the right mouse button (same, also with shift-key pressed during the operation).
If I now use the LEFT mouse button, the item is automatically COPIED to the destination, so I have to manually remove the item I have just copied.

Attachments:
Classic Start Menu.jpg
Classic Start Menu.jpg [ 511.77 KiB | Viewed 29316 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Admin

The rules are:
1) If you move stuff within the Programs menu, the default operation is MOVE
2) If you move stuff from the Programs menu to the main menu, the default operation is SHORTCUT, which in case you are dragging a shortcut is the same as COPY
3) At any time you can hold down Shift to force MOVE, hold down Ctrl to force COPY, or both for SHORTCUT

The difference between 1 and 2 was done few versions ago to mimic the Windows 7 menu's Pin behavior. When you pin something it doesn't disappear from the original location. Many people were messing up their start menu by trying to pin programs and losing the original shortcut.

I am very surprised the Shift key doesn't work for you. I tried moving something from Programs\Adobe to the main menu while holding Shift, and it moved just fine.

The mouse cursor should indicate what operation is going to happen - MOVE, COPY or SHORTCUT. Does change change when you press Shift or Ctrl as you are dragging?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53 am 

I am sure it works as you lined out.
Just curious, why the right mouse button has completely lost its meaning (which it had before).
Have still to get used to using the shift and/or Ctrl-key, I liked the right mouse button-use more.
Maybe it can be brought back with the next version!?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Sure, it is most likely a bug that snuck in few versions ago. I will look at it when I get the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm 

Thank you very much in advance!
And btw: I still like this App a lot!
A real life-saver under Windows 8, but it is also very much appreciated to get rid of the stupid triangles in Windows Explorer and get bach the good old "+" and "-" signs (including the guiding lines in explorer).
It does repair everything that Microsoft have spoiled since Vista!
Thanks a lot for this App and keep up the good work!