It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:37 am 

I don't know the relationship between the Windows 10 menu and Classic Menu (I installed Classic Menu right away :-), but the first thing I did after the Creator's Update was installed and Classic Menu updated was to look for 3D Paint. It doesn't appear to be visible in Classic Menu. Any idea where it is?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:51 am 

evert67 wrote:
I don't know the relationship between the Windows 10 menu and Classic Menu (I installed Classic Menu right away :-), but the first thing I did after the Creator's Update was installed and Classic Menu updated was to look for 3D Paint. It doesn't appear to be visible in Classic Menu. Any idea where it is?

Paint 3D is inside the Apps folder. Classic Paint is inside Windows Accessories folder.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:54 pm 

PaulH wrote:
Just installed Creators update - the update removed Classic Shell. When I tried reinstalling 4.30 I get this: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.
I have checked all gpo and local software restrictions and there are none, also removed/rejoined school domain, no change. Other installs work as usual, just not Classic Shell!

Thought that I should report back - after numerous reboots for other issues, 4.30 finally installed without error and is fully functional. Unfortunately I have no idea what made the difference. The last thing I did directly related to this was attempt to make an exclusion for the install file in windows defender but that didn't work as far as I could tell as it does not show up in exclusions. Something definitely up with creators update to cause all this hassle!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 am 

Salut,
I have updated multiple PC to Windows 10 1704 and had no issue with ClassicShell 4.3.0 - until today: I updated a laptop without any issues and updated ClassicShell to 4.3.0. After the update, the explorer continuously restarts. In the task manager (started via shortcut) I can see that ClassicShell is starting and explorer.exe restarts. After uninstalling ClasicShell, the PC runs as expected. Installing ClassicShell again leads to the restarting explorer. I have not seen the cause of this behavior.
Any suggestion where to look?

Ciao, Mathias

[Update]
The issue is caused by the IDT HD Audio driver that is part of the Windows Home edition and that is outdated (2010). Although historic, the driver is not flagged for update so I did it manually and voila: ClassicShell works and the PC is stable
[\Update]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:00 pm 

Hello everyone!
I'm having some trouble with Classic Shell today.
My Desktop looks like this:

Can anyone help me?

Attachments:
2017-04-18.png
2017-04-18.png [ 952.19 KiB | Viewed 335725 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:13 pm 

@AcroGen

Are you using textures in taskbar?

I'm having the same problem with textures.

See: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7464

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:08 am 

I was wondering if anyone else had the problem that when restarting in safe mode, the desktop starts to flash. This went away when I uninstalled Classic Shell (I only use the Classic Start Menu part). I see both the Windows Start Menu button and my Classic Start Menu button during the flashing of the desktop/screen. I'm on the Creators Update btw.

Update: So I seem to have this explorer loop crash problem as mentioned by other in this thread. Funny thing is though, it only happens in safe mode on my system.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:33 am 
Site Admin

bluemoon4ever wrote:
my Explorer Dump attached

The ZIP file appears corrupted. I can't open it with either Explorer or WinRAR

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:17 am 

gd48202 wrote:
I too am having the same problem as rocketjedi. I just finished install Windows 10 Creators Update. The standard windows 10 start button displays, then the classic shell start button displays, then the windows 10 start button displays, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

It is to the point where you cannot use the start menu at all. Fortunately I have ccleaner on my desktop, so I was able to start that and uninstall classic shell.

Oh, how I miss classic shell, please fix this.

Having the exact same problem, attached is my dumpfile and system log (minus personal info)

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with classicshellutility, used ccleaner to fix reg errors and fresh install, tried uninstalling with "revo uninstaller" and reinstalling, triple checked I do not have IDT audio driver enabled.

This is driving me crazy, any help or suggestion would be nice.

Attachments:
sysetm log.txt [130.73 KiB]
Downloaded 4089 times
cshell_win10creatorerror_dump.rar [2.26 MiB]
Downloaded 3957 times
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:13 pm 

Ivo wrote:
There is no new version planned for the CU. From what I can tell, all features are working fine in version 4.3.0.
please i would like to know you have no plan to release new version?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

@rathered9 - your crash is related to IDT audio Control Panel applet, not the IDT audio driver. Try uninstalling "IDT Audio" completely.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

@f2348 - the plans have changed. Some people have reported incompatibility with the taskbar skinning feature. So there will be a new version of Classic Shell for CU, however there is no ETA yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:42 pm 

oh ok thank you Ivo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:03 pm 

I installed Classic Shell 4.3.0 on Win 10 1703 x64 (Fresh Install) and now, the Run... never seems to remember the last commands that we executed. This worked fine on 1607. I have RESET all settings to Default and still no luck.

Ideas anyone ?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 pm 

it's going to be fix on next version, pjg61

pjg61, are you using windows 10 creators update or insider preview?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:56 pm 

f23948 wrote:
it's going to be fix on next version, pjg61

pjg61, are you using windows 10 creators update or insider preview?

Creator's Update - 10.0.15063 - x64 Enterprise

Thanks.

Probably related. The default for "Show recent or frequent programs" is Frequent Programs. However, here also, I don't see anything show up in the list. I set it to Recent programs so i can see some programs.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:03 pm 

pjg61, maybe it's going to be fix on next version. Classic Shell 4.3.0 is not for win10 Creators update

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

I think when CU is installed it asks you about your privacy preferences. If you choose to not track your program usage then the "frequent programs" list will be empty. You have to go into the OS settings to enable the tracking.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:22 pm 

pjg61 wrote:
I installed Classic Shell 4.3.0 on Win 10 1703 x64 (Fresh Install) and now, the Run... never seems to remember the last commands that we executed. This worked fine on 1607. I have RESET all settings to Default and still no luck.

Ideas anyone ?

There is nothing to fix in Classic Shell about this. Turn on frequent app list in Windows 10 Settings. For Windows 10 Creators Update, there is a new setting under Settings -> Privacy: “Let Windows track app launches to improve start and search results”. Turn it on.

Then go to Settings -> Personalization -> Start and turn on “Show most used apps”. After turning it on, try launching a couple of programs and they should show up in the Frequent list.

Or better yet, don't use Windows 10 and upgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1. :) Windows 10 is utter crap!

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:35 am 

Gaurav wrote:
Turn on frequent app list in Windows 10 Settings. For Windows 10 Creators Update, there is a new setting under Settings -> Privacy: “Let Windows track app launches to improve start and search results”. Turn it on.
Then go to Settings -> Personalization -> Start and turn on “Show most used apps”. After turning it on, try launching a couple of programs and they should show up in the Frequent list.

Thanks. That did it. Now, the last used commands in Run... appear and my Frequent Used programs appear also.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:45 pm 

I just updated to the Creators Update and I've discovered an issue. Classic Start Menu's search no longer displays results from the PC Settings. Programs, Files, and Control Panel all show up in search, but not any of the Windows 10 PC Settings. I've tried toggling the option in the CSM Search Settings but to no avail. Is this a bug in the Creators Update?

Attachments:
File comment: Search for "default" in CSM, note the lack of PC Setting results
2017-05-11 18_39_03-.png
2017-05-11 18_39_03-.png [ 26.78 KiB | Viewed 334635 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 am 

japzone wrote:
I just updated to the Creators Update and I've discovered an issue. Classic Start Menu's search no longer displays results from the PC Settings. Programs, Files, and Control Panel all show up in search, but not any of the Windows 10 PC Settings. I've tried toggling the option in the CSM Search Settings but to no avail. Is this a bug in the Creators Update?

Is Windows Search indexing enabled on your machine? Indexing must be enabled (Windows Search service must be running).

Also, make sure the following folder is being indexed by Windows Search:

%LocalAppdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\xx-XX

where xx-XX is differently named depending on the language. It's part of the appdata folder is included in the user profile.

Open Control Panel -> Indexing Options. Make sure the above mentioned folder is being indexed. If not add this folder to the index by clicking the Modify button. You may have to expand folders quite a bit under the treeview to get to this folder.

C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US

Also, AppData folder might be hidden so once you get to C:\Users\<Your user name>, Appdata may not be listed in the Indexed Locations box. To fix this, close the dialog and close Indexing Options. Then you can unhide the Appdata folder from an elevated command prompt by giving the command:

attrib %userprofile%\appdata -h -r -s

Then open Indexing Options in Control Panel again.

Add the above mentioned folder to your search index.

Once Windows finishes indexing this folder, PC Settings from your C: drive should show up in Classic Start Menu search results.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:10 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
japzone wrote:

Is Windows Search indexing enabled on your machine? Indexing must be enabled (Windows Search service must be running).

Also, make sure the following folder is being indexed by Windows Search:

%LocalAppdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\xx-XX

where xx-XX is differently named depending on the language. It's part of the appdata folder is included in the user profile.

Open Control Panel -> Indexing Options. Make sure the above mentioned folder is being indexed. If not add this folder to the index by clicking the Modify button. You may have to expand folders quite a bit under the treeview to get to this folder.

C:\Users\<Your user name>\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US

Also, AppData folder might be hidden so once you get to C:\Users\<Your user name>, Appdata may not be listed in the Indexed Locations box. To fix this, close the dialog and close Indexing Options. Then you can unhide the Appdata folder from an elevated command prompt by giving the command:

attrib %userprofile%\appdata -h -r -s

Then open Indexing Options in Control Panel again.

Add the above mentioned folder to your search index.

Once Windows finishes indexing this folder, PC Settings from your C: drive should show up in Classic Start Menu search results.

Nope, Search Index service is running and the specified folder is already selected in the Search Index settings.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:39 pm 

So, is there an update for Classic Shell I should be waiting for before I get the Creators update, or are these issues mostly isolated?
I'm just a bit paranoid after all the pain that came with getting the Anniversary update last year.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:19 pm 

Crawfish wrote:
So, is there an update for Classic Shell I should be waiting for before I get the Creators update, or are these issues mostly isolated?
I'm just a bit paranoid after all the pain that came with getting the Anniversary update last year.

There are a few known issues as of Windows 10 Creators Update with Classic Shell version 4.3.0:
- Taskbar texture issues (fixed in Classic Shell 4.3.1).
- Explorer.exe sometimes creates too many COM threads for some reason leading to a freeze and restart of the Explorer process. This issue cannot be reliably reproduced so it's hard to fix. This is not specific to Creators Update.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 am 
Site Admin

The COM threads issue is not specific to CU. It was also reported with the Anniversary Update. So if you weren't affected by it with AU, and you don't care about texturing the taskbar, then 4.3.0 will work fine for you.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 am 

Both of my computers updated to Win 10 Creators Update. One had no problems, but on the other, I'm having the same issue others have experienced: the taskbar constantly switches between Win 10 and Classic Shell (creating a flashing effect), which I could only stop by using the task manager to close Classic Shell (a bit tricky as it kept restarting). The computer does *not* have IDT Audio. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times (restarting the computer in between) and also cleaning the registry with Wise Registry Cleaner, but no luck. Having a had time figuring out the Win 10 interface without Classic Shell :-(

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Admin

Have you tried capturing a crash dump for explorer.exe?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Have you tried capturing a crash dump for explorer.exe?

I wasn't able to. I kept getting the "Multiple processes match the specified name" error, ever though I had "Launch folder windows in a separate process" unchecked. I tried both the crash and the slowdown methods.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Try logging off, then log in. Do the command again but without opening any Explorer windows.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:00 pm 

Damn, I never ran into any COM thread issues, but I do care very much about texturing the taskbar. Only way I can reliably make the taskbar all black, nothing else seems to work. :D
Thankfully the Creators update doesn't come with anything I care much about, so I'll have no problems waiting.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 am 

Ivo wrote:
Try logging off, then log in. Do the command again but without opening any Explorer windows.

No luck, I got the same error even with nothing open except the Command window.

However, just for the heck of it, I restarted the computer in Diagnostic mode. I then installed Classic Shell. Worked without a hitch. Next I restarted with normal settings, first turning off a few services that I don't need loaded (e.g. for updating software I seldom use), and noticed to my surprise that IDT Audio *is* on that computer, even though it wasn't listed on any of the audio drivers or as a program. I decided to restart with it running. Lo and behold, Classic Shell loads properly and the crash-restart issue is gone.

Unfortunately, now that laptop won't connect to the internet and it won't let me change the sign-in options, so now I have new issues to figure out.... Good thing it's my back-up laptop.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:10 am 
Site Admin

Crawfish wrote:
Damn, I never ran into any COM thread issues, but I do care very much about texturing the taskbar. Only way I can reliably make the taskbar all black, nothing else seems to work. :D
Thankfully the Creators update doesn't come with anything I care much about, so I'll have no problems waiting.

Changing the color of the taskbar works fine. It is only a problem if you want to use an image for your taskbar background.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 am 

crunchy92 wrote:
Ivo wrote:

No luck, I got the same error even with nothing open except the Command window.

However, just for the heck of it, I restarted the computer in Diagnostic mode. I then installed Classic Shell. Worked without a hitch. Next I restarted with normal settings, first turning off a few services that I don't need loaded (e.g. for updating software I seldom use), and noticed to my surprise that IDT Audio *is* on that computer, even though it wasn't listed on any of the audio drivers or as a program. I decided to restart with it running. Lo and behold, Classic Shell loads properly and the crash-restart issue is gone.

Unfortunately, now that laptop won't connect to the internet and it won't let me change the sign-in options, so now I have new issues to figure out.... Good thing it's my back-up laptop.

Crap, spoke too soon. After tinkering around trying to fix the internet connection problem, I discovered that not all Microsoft services were starting up. So I fixed that (leaving IDT Audio running) and restarted. Back to the Classic Shell crash-reload cycle. Tried restarting again with IDT set not to load, but still no joy. Found a folder called IDT in the Program Files, and renamed it, but that didn't work either. So how do I get rid of something that isn't listed as a driver or an app? Or maybe it's something else entirely?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 am 
Site Admin

The problem is not the IDT driver. It is the IDT control panel applet. Are you sure IDT is not in your list of installed programs? If it is, uninstall it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 am 

Ivo wrote:
The problem is not the IDT driver. It is the IDT control panel applet. Are you sure IDT is not in your list of installed programs? If it is, uninstall it.

Absolutely sure. I've probably checked five times now, not only looking through the Apps list, but also using search on it and looking for anything that says "audio." Definitely not listed.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:34 pm 

Hi, ich have got today the 1703 update (have classic shell 4.3.0) - now if I play Elite Dangerous I see the Classic Shell in the game, thats new. Sometimes if I change to desktop and back to the game the shell is unvisible, then again visible in the game. What can I do?

Attachments:
File comment: here the shell in the game
Bild2.jpg
Bild2.jpg [ 12.29 KiB | Viewed 334356 times ]
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

crunchy92 wrote:
Ivo wrote:

Absolutely sure. I've probably checked five times now, not only looking through the Apps list, but also using search on it and looking for anything that says "audio." Definitely not listed.

Download the Classic Shell Utility from this page: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it, save a system log, and send it to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

diadema wrote:
Hi, ich have got today the 1703 update (have classic shell 4.3.0) - now if I play Elite Dangerous I see the Classic Shell in the game, thats new. Sometimes if I change to desktop and back to the game the shell is unvisible, then again visible in the game. What can I do?

This problem has been reported before and is not specific to Creators Update. Unfortunately so far I have been unable to reproduce it. Might be related to a specific game, videocard, drivers, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:56 am 

Ivo wrote:
crunchy92 wrote:
Ivo wrote:

Download the Classic Shell Utility from this page: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it, save a system log, and send it to me.

OK, I've uploaded it to your file drop as "System log - crunchy92."

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:32 am 

I had an issue with Creators Update and traced many of the problems to a permission issue. The biggest one I was having was with the Quick Launcher in the Taskbar. I would pin an app and with in a few minutes or upon signing in again the icons would disappear. By giving full permission to all users on the app I was trying to pin, it would stay as it should. Since doing this Ive had no further issues with Classic Shell.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:03 pm 

Hi, I"m new to the forum so please correct me if I post something that's already been discussed.
On a Windows 10 Home 64bit system; I've been using CS from day one and love it. I recently had to do an "in place upgrade" to fix some corrupted win 10 files. Actually worked very well but then it also loaded the anniversary update. When I rebooted, CS wasn't there but the system was stable. I ran iobit uninstaller to remove CS and then, following what it seems others have done, I reinstalled CS and rebooted. The system started "flashing" alternating between Win 10 start and CS. It was a bit difficult to stop. Trying to kill CS in the task manager didn't work so I uninstalled it again.
Is this alternating between normal windows start and CS what others are seeing? If so, can you point me to the section on how to fix it? I've uninstalled CS with iobit and then deep scan. I've also ran ccleaner and rebooted, downloaded a fresh version of CS and reinstalled. Same problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:07 pm 

natzure wrote:
Hi, I"m new to the forum so please correct me if I post something that's already been discussed.
On a Windows 10 Home 64bit system; I've been using CS from day one and love it. I recently had to do an "in place upgrade" to fix some corrupted win 10 files. Actually worked very well but then it also loaded the anniversary update. When I rebooted, CS wasn't there but the system was stable. I ran iobit uninstaller to remove CS and then, following what it seems others have done, I reinstalled CS and rebooted. The system started "flashing" alternating between Win 10 start and CS. It was a bit difficult to stop. Trying to kill CS in the task manager didn't work so I uninstalled it again.
Is this alternating between normal windows start and CS what others are seeing? If so, can you point me to the section on how to fix it? I've uninstalled CS with iobit and then deep scan. I've also ran ccleaner and rebooted, downloaded a fresh version of CS and reinstalled. Same problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sounds like the problem I'm having. Mine is still unresolved, but you may have more luck if your computer has IDT Audio (uninstall it).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:40 pm 

bluemoon4ever wrote:
guess no fix, or solution to my issue with the crash/restart loop in Redstone 2 ... even though is created a 'dump' for you guys?

After 3 months i finally found the problem, and i am now back using Classic Shell :D

The Problem was he file IDTNC64.cpl, which was causing Explorer shell to crash when CS Loaded. I found this out because it caused the same problem when i tried to load Control Panel ... it just crashed the Control Panel and Explorer.

So i am guessing that when CS loads it also tries to load all of the .cpl files to the start menu?

Anyway i just deleted the file in question and all is well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:04 am 

diadema wrote:

I have noticed this exact same thing with the 1703 update (x64) and classic shell 4.3 but this time on my media centre which runs Kodi. I have Kodi set up so that it runs in what it terms a full screen window. When a video plays, the classic shell icon appears. Clicking on this brings up the start menu etc. and then clicking off the start menu gets rid of the start menu and classic shell icon unless the video is stopped and another started. I suspect it occurs the screen resolution changes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:04 am 
Site Admin

I downloaded Kodi (the 32-bit installer) and I can't see the problem.
How many monitors you have, what's their resolution and scale settings?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Actually, never mind. I was able to reproduce the problem using Kodi. It will be fixed in the next version.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:56 am 

We are currently trialling ClassicShell on our domain and are constantly running into seemingly random explorer crashes. If you let us know how we go about capturing a crashdump I will upload a few which will hopefully allow you to track down the cause.

Cheers,
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:10 am 

captainhotdawg wrote:
We are currently trialling ClassicShell on our domain and are constantly running into seemingly random explorer crashes. If you let us know how we go about capturing a crashdump I will upload a few which will hopefully allow you to track down the cause.

Cheers,
Michael
I think you need this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 am 

I have Classic Shell 4.3.0 and I recently received the Windows 10 Creators update, but I lost the ability to use Classic Start Menu due to a recurring (looping?) type of explorer(?) crash and restart that never ends until I end the Classic Shell process in Task Manager. I've already sent my two cents worth to the Windows team telling them that their Win10 start menus are clunky and dinosaur-like and they should never have taken away our ability to choose to use the classic start menu. I don't expect them to do anything about it, but I like Classic Shell's Classic Start Menu better anyway and I'm LOST without it. I just need to find out which of my programs or files might be causing this problem. I have attached my log file. (I hope it worked...I don't see it anywhere.) By the way, the last thing I did before saving the log file was try to load the Classic Start Menu Settings, so any conflicting files or processes should show up right at the end of the log. Thanks! NOTE: Please see addendum below. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to add a "carriage return" in my post without causing a text box to appear around my post and not allowing me to add any text thereafter.

Attachments:
File comment: I'm attaching the file named "System Log 2017-06-23 - BarbM"
System Log 2017-06-23 - BarbM.txt [163.47 KiB]
Downloaded 3833 times

Last edited by nutmegsmomm on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next