It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:56 pm 

First, let me apologize. I just found Crunchy92's posts about my exact problem using your search feature. I could have sworn I had read his/hers (and a good number of others) yesterday, but somehow it wasn't registering that the wording of the problem was the same thing I'm experiencing. I just checked my programs installed and lo and behold, I do have IDT Audio. I am poised to uninstall it, but I'm worried about what affect it might have on my sound and if it does mess something up, will I be able to find and reinstall it? I couldn't find any reference to IDT Audio in my Device Manager under Sound or Audio Inputs and Outputs. I don't know where else to look. Anyone have any reassurances for me before I go for it and uninstall IDT Audio??? Thanks, and thanks for you patience, as I am new to the forum but learning fast. :)

"Whatever it takes..."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:14 pm 

Still waiting for new version Classic Shell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:15 pm 

are you still active development?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, however not as active as in the past. I am working on other projects, both personal and professional, which take the majority of my time.
I expect to have a new version out sometime in July.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:53 pm 

thank you admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:24 pm 

i really don't like Windows 10 start menu because it's very slow sometimes and it's frustrated

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:59 am 

Hello,
I haven't had any responses to my posts. Did I do something wrong? Thanks.

"Whatever it takes..."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, I missed your post about IDT. I don't know what parts of the audio it controls. All I found on the Internet was advice to simply uninstall it: http://tc-itservices.com/microsoft/idt- ... indows-10/

BTW, this is not a crash just in the start menu. People are reporting the same crash with simply viewing the Control Panel in Explorer. The root of the problem is the file C:\Windows\system32\IDTNc64.cpl. You can try renaming it to _IDTNc64.cpl and see if that fixes the crash without fully uninstalling IDT.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:55 pm 

Thank you very much, admin. Yeah, I noticed I couldn't open the control panel either, because I thought if I tweaked a setting I might be able to fix it. Now I know that's not what it needs. I will post again after I work up the courage to remove the ITD file or program. Thanks again! :)

"Whatever it takes..."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:51 am 

AN AUTOMATIC FIX CAME TO MY COMPUTER TODAY! I have good news for everyone!! I was dragging my feet about doing anything with the IDT Audio to fix this problem when the solution just fell into my lap. I received a popup from HP (I have an HP laptop) that said there was an IDT HIGH-DEFINITION (HD) AUDIO DRIVER UPDATE to download and install (I hadn't even touched the driver or program yet, it was just an automatic update notification). I went ahead and installed it on the chance that they might actually have made a change that would affect Classic Shell. After a REBOOT, I tried to open the Classic Shell Control Panel and my screen remained on. I clicked Start and the Classic Start Menu was already running and all was working fine! The only difference was that my chosen custom Start button wasn't there, but that's a simple matter of re-selecting it. I hope this helps everyone! If you haven't received the update yet, try checking on the Windows website or the website for your computer's manufacturer. :)

"Whatever it takes..."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 pm 

I have a different result from nutmegsmomm - my system automatically applied the upgrade on Sunday and Classic Shell failed completely to work. I had to roll back to an earlier release of Windows 10 to get it to work. It may be that I do not have the most recent version of Classic Shell - I will try to upgrade and see what happens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:27 am 

My new laptop came with Windows 10 Pro and I believe it is the Anniversary version.
I installed Classic Shell menu for the first time today but got an error message during install.
The programs seems to be working anyway so should I be concerned about this error?

Attachments:
ClassicShell.jpg
ClassicShell.jpg [ 118.66 KiB | Viewed 369479 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I think you can disregard that. Was the installer running in some compatibility mode?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:34 am 

No it wasn't although I did run it in admin mode.
My guess is it came up due to Edge being on my machine rather than IE.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:28 am 

Hi,

Afther the latest windows update I get messages that this app is untrussed. When reinstalling this messages pops up:
(Sorry for the text version: the cut past of screen print did tot stick in the forum)

/------
| This publischer has been blocked from running software on your machine
|
| Name: C:\TMP\ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0.exe
| Publisher: Unnown Publisher
| Type: Application
| From: C:\TMP\ClassicShellSetup_4_3_0.exe
|-----
| You must ublock this publisher ......
\-

When I click the Unknown publisher:

/-------
| General
|----
| Digital Signature Information
| A certificate was explicitly revoked by tis issuer
|
| Signer information
|
| Name: Ivaylo Beltchev
| E-mail: Not available
| Signing time: saterday 30 july 2016 18:05:29
| | Vieuw Certificate |
| Countersignatures
| Name of signer E-mail address: Timestamp
| Startcom Time S.... support@starts.... Saterday 30 july 2016...
\---

Any sugestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Look at the properties of the EXE, then go to Digital Signatures. Double-click on "Ivaylo Beltchev". Does it say "A certificate was explicitly revoked by its issuer"? For me it says "This digital signature is OK".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 am 

Yep. Is reads:
This certificate has been revoked by its certification authority.

When I click on Certification path it is the root certificate of StartCom Certification Authority that has been revoked. Therefore all descending certificates.

I the details there is the field Extended Error Information that reads:
Revocation Status : The certificate is revoked.

I found this post that startcom is distrusted:
https://blog.qualys.com/ssllabs/2017/04 ... rtificates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Dang it! StartCom was the only one I could find that would sell affordable certificates. I am not happy shelling out $500 per year for a Symantec certificate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 am 

Ivo wrote:
Dang it! StartCom was the only one I could find that would sell affordable certificates. I am not happy shelling out $500 per year for a Symantec certificate.
I don't think you should shell out any amount per year for a signed binary. This certificate business is a means to make money for the rich companies to sell you "security" whose value and usefulness are questionable considering the amount you have to pay. Regardless of the signed binaries, installers can still get replaced. 99.9% people don't even check for the digital signature or the different UAC prompt.

A better way to build trust is to through reputation. Classic Shell has a solid reputation now. Just educate people to get it from the official website.

Read The great digital certificate ripoff: https://successfulsoftware.net/2008/02/ ... te-ripoff/ and you might agree.

You can get a cheaper Code Signing certificate here: https://codesigncert.com/ (the Comodo one for 3 years is $177, so it comes to $59 per year), but it is still a ripoff. You shouldn't have to shell out money to build a "trusted" freeware app for Microsoft's platform. If anything, Microsoft should be paying for the certificates of apps with well-known reputation and exceptional value.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:59 am 

I just installed Classic Start Menu on my Windows 10 Edu Creators Update 15063.483.
It works well for the most parts but i cant find any setting apps with the search box.
I don't have "pc settings" section when i type some keyword like "update".
I take a look at %LocalAppdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState, but I don't have the "Indexed" folder in that location. Cortana is working fine, tho.
Any idea what's wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 am 

Since installing the Creators Update, items pinned to the Taskbar from the Classic Shell Start Menu only persist while the current computer session is active. After powering-down and re-starting, the pinned items are no longer shown on the Taskbar, apart from one stubborn item!

However, items pinned from the Windows Start Menu seem to remain on the Taskbar after a reboot. Is anyone else having this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 am 

wyvern wrote:
Since installing the Creators Update, items pinned to the Taskbar from the Classic Shell Start Menu only persist while the current computer session is active. After powering-down and re-starting, the pinned items are no longer shown on the Taskbar, apart from one stubborn item!

However, items pinned from the Windows Start Menu seem to remain on the Taskbar after a reboot. Is anyone else having this problem?

Can you temporarily try uninstalling Classic Shell and see if the taskbar items persist? The taskbar is not a part of Classic Shell whereas the Start menu is.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:09 am 

knightzx wrote:
I just installed Classic Start Menu on my Windows 10 Edu Creators Update 15063.483.
It works well for the most parts but i cant find any setting apps with the search box.
I don't have "pc settings" section when i type some keyword like "update".
I take a look at %LocalAppdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState, but I don't have the "Indexed" folder in that location. Cortana is working fine, tho.
Any idea what's wrong?
I am facing this issue too and have no idea how to fix it. Many items from PC Settings just do not get searched. But Cortana Search is able to find them. But it was working fine when I had freshly installed Creators Update. It broke after a few days so I don't suspect Classic Shell broke it.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:57 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
wyvern wrote:

Can you temporarily try uninstalling Classic Shell and see if the taskbar items persist? The taskbar is not a part of Classic Shell whereas the Start menu is.

I uninstalled Classic Shell and pinned items from the Windows 10 Start Menu to the Taskbar. They were persistent on a reboot.

Unfortunately, the Windows 10 Start Menu no longer shows an "All Apps" option so it very difficult to find previously-used, non-Microsoft programs. However, it is possible to eventually hunt down desired programs, create shortcuts, and pin them to the Taskbar. These too are persistent, but associated right-click jump-lists are often missing, leaving only launch and unpin options.

The Classic Shell Start Menu and expandable Program fly-out is a delight to use and does allow items to be pinned to the Taskbar but, as I previously stated, they do not persist beyond the current session.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 pm 

@wyvern, Okay, how are you pinning them to the Taskbar? Are you right clicking them inside the menu and choosing "Pin to taskbar"? Or are you pinning them by right clicking them on the taskbar itself? Are these regular Win32 programs or the new "apps"?

It is also possible that some of the pinned items are getting corrupted? First make a note of everything you have already pinned and then unpin everything. Then delete all files/everything from C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar. After this log out and then login again. Now try pinning all the shortcuts again. Does it prevent them from getting deleted after a reboot?

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:58 am 

Gaurav wrote:
@wyvern, Okay, how are you pinning them to the Taskbar? Are you right clicking them inside the menu and choosing "Pin to taskbar"? Or are you pinning them by right clicking them on the taskbar itself? Are these regular Win32 programs or the new "apps"?

It is also possible that some of the pinned items are getting corrupted? First make a note of everything you have already pinned and then unpin everything. Then delete all files/everything from C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar. After this log out and then login again. Now try pinning all the shortcuts again. Does it prevent them from getting deleted after a reboot?

Sometimes I drag-and-drop from the left-hand Classic Shell column. At other times I right-click from the Programs fly-out and choose "Pin to taskbar". Either method leaves the icon on the Taskbar. Sometimes Windows Explorer refreshes itself.

I have checked that the pinned items appear in the "....\Appdata\...\User Pinned\..." folder. They are shown as shortcuts. The pinned items are mostly regular Win32 apps. After a reboot, some shortcuts are missing from the folder. It is very suspicious that I find it impossible for the Chrome or Firefox browsers to stay!

I have previously followed your suggestion of deleting everything in the pinned folder, but it makes no difference. Interestingly, "new apps" pinned to the Taskbar seem to be stored elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:16 am 

@wyvern, this is a surprising and unfortunate bug. It has been reported by some other Windows 10 users too so I believe you. But the taskbar and its pinning is entirely under control of Windows. I don't understand how Classic Shell's Start menu can affect taskbar pinning. Nor can I reproduce the buggy behavior on my Windows 10 PC.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm 

@Gaurav, thank you for spending time on this. Let's put it down to another Microsoft bug. I'll carry on using the Classic Shell anyway - it's a terrific program. I'll just pin the items that I require for the day to the Taskbar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 am 

Once again, I highly recommend Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell for everyone having a bad experience with Windows 10. I wouldn't recommend using Windows 10 unless Microsoft fixes the critical design flaws with it.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 am 

New version never release?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
There are a few known issues as of Windows 10 Creators Update with Classic Shell version 4.3.0:
- Taskbar texture issues (fixed in Classic Shell 4.3.1).
- Explorer.exe sometimes creates too many COM threads for some reason leading to a freeze and restart of the Explorer process. This issue cannot be reliably reproduced so it's hard to fix. This is not specific to Creators Update.

Would this COM issue also cause the Explorer process to just hang up for no reason when it's started? 'Cause this happens to me randomly.

It's not only during boot, but also when I restart explorer.exe manually. When it screws up during boot though, it takes 20x longer to log into windows (sits on "preparing desktop" for a while), then when it's finally logged in, the taskbar is broken (frozen, no tray icons appear either) and no explorer windows open. I have to manually end and restart explorer.exe, which I've automated via a .bat file.. and here it is if anyone wants it:

Code:
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
pause
start explorer.exe

Pretty damn annoying, seems to happen half the time.

I don't like using Windows 10, but I have to run it to counteract some issues with applications I use (Win7 is slowly becoming deprecated) that only work correctly on 10, so to suffer this ontop of 10's atrocious design decisions hurts more than it should.

Last edited by DAOWAce on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:15 pm 

@DAOWAce, Classic Shell does not even load until after login when Explorer.exe has loaded so it should not affect boot or login in any way. If you think your Explorer.exe is becoming unresponsive, crashing or leaking memory, capture a crash dump as per these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6. Analyzing the dump will allow the problem to be fixed in the next version of Classic Shell.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:38 am 

Gaurav wrote:
@DAOWAce, Classic Shell does not even load until after login when Explorer.exe has loaded so it should not affect boot or login in any way. If you think your Explorer.exe is becoming unresponsive, crashing or leaking memory, capture a crash dump as per these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6. Analyzing the dump will allow the problem to be fixed in the next version of Classic Shell.

Considering it's hanging because some part of the explorer.exe thread is hanging.. yes it does affect login.

It's not crashing, what would trying to get a crash dump provide?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:42 am 

@DAOWAce, if you observe that it is not crashing, then you need to create a slowdown dump while it's happening. The dump will capture the state of the Explorer process when the slowdown is happening.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:36 am 

Just wanted to say that on our domain we were having hourly crashes on the last version of ClassicShell (v4.3.0) running under Windows 10. We had began to prepare a switch to Windows 8.1 but since v4.3.1 has been released I have installed and not had a single crash in 2 days. Looks extremely promising so far so I am not sure what you have done but seems to have fixed our issue.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:26 am 

captainhotdawg wrote:
Just wanted to say that on our domain we were having hourly crashes on the last version of ClassicShell (v4.3.0) running under Windows 10. We had began to prepare a switch to Windows 8.1 but since v4.3.1 has been released I have installed and not had a single crash in 2 days. Looks extremely promising so far so I am not sure what you have done but seems to have fixed our issue.
Thanks!
It's possible one of the fixes is your crash: (detailed change log for Classic Shell 4.3.1)

I would still recommend moving to Windows 8.1. :mrgreen:

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 am 

Didn't even know an update got released the day before I posted.. could've sworn I checked the site for an update, which is why I replied to the thread.

Now half a month later I find out, ugh! Time to see if it fixes the issue I mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:58 pm 

Nope, not fixed. Still hangs up at complete random when explorer.exe starts.

Seeing as I can't use Win7+ without classic shell (ui is so atrocious), I can't even troubleshoot to see if it's actually a classic shell issue.

Maybe it's my install of 10, maybe not, guess I'll never know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:03 am 

I have had absolutely no problems with Classic Shell on any version of Windows 10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:30 am 

DAOWAce wrote:
Nope, not fixed. Still hangs up at complete random when explorer.exe starts.

Seeing as I can't use Win7+ without classic shell (ui is so atrocious), I can't even troubleshoot to see if it's actually a classic shell issue.

Maybe it's my install of 10, maybe not, guess I'll never know.

Same issue here on windows 10. explorer.exe crashing and needing to be restarting every now and again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:20 am 

Can anyone try the Windows Explorer setting "Launch folder windows in a separate process" (File Explorer Options)

reg.exe add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v SeparateProcess /t reg_dword /d 0x1

to see if the freezing session/high thread count problem on Windows 10 goes away?

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:47 am 

I've tried, doesn't work (Win10 pro x64)... :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:18 am 

Only one thing helped (for me...): a new administrator account...
But so (nearly) all programs preferences/setup will be lost... :( :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:51 am 

Using it with Bins, the custom Windows button blinks when mouse is on pinned software.
Doesn't happen on Start10, I have to use the official w10 logo to not have the bug on Classic Shell.

Would be cool to have a fix, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:28 pm 

Hello Girlz and Boyz, am a newbie here a devote user of Classic Shell (Version 4.3.1). My Windows10 ver is 1607.
So far everyone is talking about problems and how to fix them. Personally, I would like to take a different approach, a preventive approach.
Let me explain.
I have managed to hold back the Creators Update so far, but sooner or later I will have to give in.
My question is what steps can I take on a PREEMPTIVE basis in case it screws up and/or destroys my Classic Shell? Meaning: can I save my Classic Shell settings somewhere nicely IN CASE I need to reinstall it? Would it make sense to first uninstall Classic Shell before the Windows Update and then to re-install it again?
Thanks for your ideas and comments.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:50 pm 

FrancoAA wrote:
Hello Girlz and Boyz, am a newbie here a devote user of Classic Shell (Version 4.3.1). My Windows10 ver is 1607.
So far everyone is talking about problems and how to fix them. Personally, I would like to take a different approach, a preventive approach.
Let me explain.
I have managed to hold back the Creators Update so far, but sooner or later I will have to give in.
My question is what steps can I take on a PREEMPTIVE basis in case it screws up and/or destroys my Classic Shell? Meaning: can I save my Classic Shell settings somewhere nicely IN CASE I need to reinstall it? Would it make sense to first uninstall Classic Shell before the Windows Update and then to re-install it again?
Thanks for your ideas and comments.
Classic Shell Settings can be saved to an XML file using the Backup button in the Settings dialog which is present on every tab. Just preserve that XML and restore it in case anything goes wrong. It would also be a good idea to upgrade to Classic Shell 4.3.1 before moving to Windows 10 Creators Update.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:17 pm 

DAOWAce wrote:

Okay, seeing as it started to happen after nearly every damn login, I started to troubleshoot.

It is definitely caused by Classic Explorer.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the program after I randomly got this message after the issue happened today:

I tried installing only classic explorer; issue appears. Installed only classic start menu; no issue.

So it appears classic explorer isn't fully compatible with W10 CU, if not W10 itself. Maybe it's an option I'm using, I don't know, I have so many customized settings and trying to troubleshoot them is an ordeal. The most I can try is exporting my settings, resetting to default and seeing if it still happens.

Gaurav wrote:
Can anyone try the Windows Explorer setting "Launch folder windows in a separate process" (File Explorer Options)

I've been using this since Windows XP.

ZeBe wrote:
Only one thing helped (for me...): a new administrator account...

If this is the case, then it may never actually get fixed.

Did you upgrade from a previous OS install? I upgraded from 7.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:05 pm 

@DAOWAce, what version of Classic Shell did you have installed? Version 4.3.1 should be compatible with Creators Update.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:00 pm 

@Gaurav: That message came up with version 4.3.1 installed. It appeared after I had one of my explorer hangs on login which I manually recovered from (ctrl+alt+del, task manager, restart explorer.exe) instead of letting time out.

I updated to it from 4.3.0 after I posted on August 31st. I upgraded to Windows 10 with 4.0.1 installed which I upgraded to 4.3.0 right after. (just mentioning it for chain of events for possible troubleshooting)

There are clearly some compatibility issues/bugs left, as evident by my issue and a couple other people reporting more.

While it's great that classic shell was finally updated for the AU/CU, the sad part is that the "fall" creator's update is coming soon, which may break more things yet again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 am 

Classic Shell v4.3.1 was working before FCU (1709). Following FCU install, the system reported Classic Shell was being updated, but the program appears stuck in a loop. The desktop flashes repeatedly, as if trying to start Classic Shell, but nothing is accessible. Reboot did not solve. The only way to recover was killing Classic Shell via Task Manager and uninstalling it. Reinstall did not solve the issue. Neither did removal via "Remove the broken installation left behind by Windows 10" utility and reinstall. Hoping someone has a fix, since I can't stand the standard Windows Start Menu...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next