It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:55 am 

Hello,

I started by PC this morning and received this message:

Your app doesn't work with Windows 10 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10581/windows-10-app-not-work

Classic Start Menu 4.3.0

Windows 10 PRO anniversary.

Is there a new version for this windows upgrade?

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:40 am 

Classic Shell 4.3.0 is officially supported on Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
Classic Shell 4.3.1 is officially supported on Windows 10 Creators Update.
Classic Shell 4.3.1 is reported by the majority to run on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, but some others are reporting various issues.

It mostly works well on a clean install.....until the next Windows update/upgrade comes along to disrupt everything. As you may or may not be knowing, Classic Shell is no longer the priority for the developer (Ivo), nor for me (I was one of the testers). Windows 10 has caused me to lose interest in the PC platform completely.

Classic Shell is in maintenance mode. New features and new releases will be very slow or unlikely. Issues with Windows 10 might be because of no testing performed by me on that OS. Even if you find issues, they must be reliably and consistently reproducible, only then can Ivo fix them. And that's the problem with Windows 10 - it gives everyone a very inconsistent experience.

The community is of course free to carry the Classic Shell project forward and there are other decent Start menu solutions too.

Because of the way Windows 10 is serviced and updated, it routinely creates crashing issues for Explorer because Microsoft's upgrade process is imperfect even after years of trying and cannot even properly migrate desktop app settings after the upgrade - it ends up deleting or corrupting certain configuration in the Registry required for Win32 programs to work properly. On a clean install of Windows 10's latest release, Classic Shell works. But often when in-place upgrades are done, Windows Setup damages it or causes serious issues due to their imperfect update process causing a partially installed state where Classic Shell crashes Explorer. I recommend you to stay with Windows 7 or 8.1 if you want to use Classic Shell.

You could capture a crash dump as per these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6 but there are so many instability issues in general with Windows 10 that it is always going to give you problems. It's not a good, well-engineered, well-tested system.

Another thing you can try is download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3uker ... tility.exe and use it to clean all traces of Classic Shell from your existing installation, including all settings. Then try a clean install of the newest version.

However we cannot guarantee it won't crash or break again because Microsoft designed Windows 10 to routinely break desktop apps that integrate deeply with the system.
At present, there is an issue with Explorer hanging/freezing and crashing reported by a small group of users on Windows 10. The handle and thread count of Explorer process increases when the Start Menu is running.

If you are doing an in-place build upgrade (not a clean install) and Windows removed Classic Shell for you, the fix that will most likely work is using the Utility to remove all traces of it including all settings for all users and then reinstall it. However, Windows 10 Setup also sometimes causes messed up Registry and file system permissions during the upgrade, causing Classic Shell to not work. Sometimes, the MSI installation data gets damaged or improperly migrated during the Windows 10 update. Some others have reported that changing the installation path from the default is causing it to crash. It is clear that Microsoft does not want non-Store desktop apps to survive for long.

Also, on some PCs which have IDT audio hardware, the audio driver (IDTNC64.cpl file to be specific) is known to be incompatible with the latest Windows 10. It can cause Explorer/Classic Shell to crash. Uninstall IDT audio driver or get the updated fixed one from HP's website for your PC model.

Besides IDT, there is one more driver that has been reported to cause Explorer/Control Panel/Classic Start Menu crashes - Realtek's audio driver if you haven't updated it, contains RtkAPO.dll/RltkAPO64.dll which has the same effect as IDT's CPL file.

The real "fix" is to not use Windows 10 at all since it is a very problematic OS that fails all quality control standards and never stops harassing the user via bloated forced updates. If you use it anyway, there is no incentive left for Microsoft to fix anything since they already have your support. They will continue to take you for granted and drop the ball on Windows quality even more. All Windows feedback falls on deaf ears and critical bugs and design flaws in the OS are never fixed as you may be knowing from experience.

Use Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell if you want a more modern OS than Windows 7 without the hassles of Windows 10. You will be surprised at how well Windows 8.1 works once Classic Shell is installed to suppress the Metro UI.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:08 am 

Thank you for your fantastic fix to get my classic start menu going again today. I noted when trying to download the ClassicShellyUtility directly from the website that it seemed to be blocked and said I have network errors which was rubbish, :P However I went to your facebook page and downloaded from there. It was an instant process and I was immediately able to download both file. The whole process took 30 seconds. I am very thankful to you for a fast easy fix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:23 pm 

:evil: :evil: :evil:
The other day my WIN 10 was restarted and updated to version 1607 without even asking my permission.
Bye bye to Classic Shell
:evil::evil::evil:
I re-downloaded and re-installed Classic Shell. It re-started working as Start menu but not as Classic Exoplorer.
I came on this forum, found this topic and I followed the instructions quoted here: http://winaero.com/blog/fix-classic-she ... ry-update/
While removing Classic Shell withClassic Shell Utility a long error message appeared and was saved on my desktop as a txt file.
(I'd be happy to annex the file to this post but I am not familiar with the tricks and I do not know how to do it)
After restarting the PC I tried removing again and this time it seemed to work.
I re-downloaded the latest Classic Shell Version (4.3.0 it) and installed butuselessly: Classic Start works again, Classic Explorer does not.

I hate wasting hours on this! Can anybody help?

Fonicchio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Try these troubleshooting steps: http://classicshell.net/faq/#explorer_toolbar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:34 am 

I'm new & thought this would be straight forward.
And actually getting Win 10(64) was rather easy, even the anniversary update!
Apparently the start shell now just goes to Win7 style by just pressing the start icon.
The annoyance is that this reverted when Win 10 updated 24 hours ago, until then all was swinging.
Curses on MS!
But I still don't have the original start icon - it's still the Win 10 icon which is OK but not what I had 24 hours ago!
Now I have to go figure what has happened (or not) with explorer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:00 pm 

We have multiple computers with i5 CPU, 8GB of ram, 128GB SSD drive and connected to a domain with network shares. We have been running Classic Shell 4.3 Start Menu only.
We have used build 1511 and 1607. For some reason on 1607 and 1511 with updates if we have Classic Shell installed and let the computer sit for a while, windows explorer memory usage will creep up until the whole system hangs. The only way to resolve the issue is to open task manager and restart the process. I have been working with Microsoft to resolve the issue and they blame it on a Classic Shell dll file.

I have read other articles that blame the issue on using the SSD drive with data somewhere else. However at home I have a Windows 10 with a SSD and 1 TB 7200 Drive and Classic Shell and experience no issues.

Im at a loss because we need to push out new computers and we cant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:28 pm 

I've been helping an elderly neighbor with their Win 10 system. Everything was working fine, including Classic Shell, until the Windows Anniversary "update" was installed a couple of days ago. As many others have reported, this "update" attempted to remove Classic Shell. Following the recommended "fix", I used the Classic Shell Utility program to uninstall any leftover parts of the program (but did not delete the configuration settings). The reinstallation of the latest Classic Shell seemed to go fine, BUT now all the Win 10 Live Tiles are back and I cannot see any of the old pre-Anniversary desktop icons! Has anyone else see this behavior and/or have a suggestion as to how I can get rid to the unwanted tiles? Thanks, Wayne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

If you are seeing tiles on the desktop, then you most likely turned on Tablet Mode. Press Win+A, look at the bottom right corner for a button to toggle Tablet Mode.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:41 pm 

Ivo,

Thanks very much for the suggestion! I'll visit my neighbor tomorrow and see if - by some unknown method - Tablet mode was turned ON. Hopefully, I'll be able to post the results of this test tomorrow... Wayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:10 am 

Ivo,

That did it - the problem was Tablet mode! I don't know how that option got set, but all is well now.

Many thanks,
Wayne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:20 pm 

Ivo, Do you have any suggestions for the issue I posted earlier?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried disabling Classic Shell to verify the theory that it is at fault?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:26 am 

To Ivo,

Yes. Once uninstalled the issue goes away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:27 am 

@cpeikert, Are you redirecting any folders to a network path? Like the Start Menu folder or Appdata folder? Anything different or non-standard about your domain setup or the way clients are configured?

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:32 am 

No. We do not do any folder redirection.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:59 am 

I guess the issue seems to be specific to a domain joined machine with roaming user profiles. Unfortunately, I don't have a server/domain controller to test this scenario.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:44 am 

We dont use Roaming User Profiles.

CPU: i5
Mem: 8GB
Hard drive: 128GB SSD Drive
Windows 10 Pro

OEM installs no images.
Load drivers and then add to domain
Load Classic Shell and other software.

If we use Windows 10 Pro with 1511 and do not run update then Classic Shell works fine. If we run windows updates or use build 1607 then explorer.exe starts crashing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:08 am 
Site Admin

If you are getting crashes in Explorer, please capture crash dumps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:24 pm 

I have had absolutely no problems with Classic Shell on any version of Windows 10 including the AU, I have used it on every preview Build and it is currently running perfect on Win 10 Build 14971.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:18 am 

GTK48 wrote:
I have had absolutely no problems with Classic Shell on any version of Windows 10 including the AU, I have used it on every preview Build and it is currently running perfect on Win 10 Build 14971.

Only had a couple of minor problems with AU which were easily resolved, except for one small irritation. The procedure, Start – Shut Down, does not commence the shut-down process immediately, but opens a Widows 10 dialogue box that repeats the same shutdown options.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:33 pm 

Hi,
I just bought a new laptop. I'm mostly a luddite. I went PC because Mac is expensive as hell. Of course, that meant I got this wonderful wonderful windows 10 that I'd been resisting for years. How often does the windows updater uninstall Classic Start Menu, and is it difficult for a luddite like me to reinstall it again? If it's difficult, or often, I will return this PoS and find a way to get a machine running an earlier version of windows. I've got a couple weeks to decide.

Thank you. I just donated. Bless you people and fight the good fight.
Al

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:15 am 

friendlyape wrote:
Hi,
I just bought a new laptop. I'm mostly a luddite. I went PC because Mac is expensive as hell. Of course, that meant I got this wonderful wonderful windows 10 that I'd been resisting for years. How often does the windows updater uninstall Classic Start Menu, and is it difficult for a luddite like me to reinstall it again? If it's difficult, or often, I will return this PoS and find a way to get a machine running an earlier version of windows. I've got a couple weeks to decide.

Thank you. I just donated. Bless you people and fight the good fight.
Al

For people (including myself) who prefer stability and having things where they used to be, I recommend you Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell. Windows 10 will give you a lot of trouble.
1. It changes too much constantly which is a deal-breaker
2. Even regularly monthly updates are unreliable, slow, bloated. Large updates reset a ton of stuff and make the OS and many apps like Classic Shell fragile by breaking them or straightaway uninstalling them
3. The overall reduction in user control over many aspects of the system is very high in Windows 10

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:07 am 

Stupid Microsoft. In Windows 10 Anniversary build 15002 block Classic Shell again !!! Arrogant idiots! :oops:
Help me please!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:19 am 

arnold987 wrote:
Stupid Microsoft. In Windows 10 Anniversary build 15002 block Classic Shell again !!! Arrogant idiots! :oops:
Help me please!

Windows 10 is not the only option you have. I suggest you learn how to format your drive, find device drivers for Windows 7/8.1 for your PC and install Classic Shell on Windows 7/8.1. Windows 10 is worse than malware. It's unintentionally or intentionally designed to hurt users. Nobody knows if Microsoft is just incredibly evil or incredibly stupid but it's better to stay away from such a toxic OS.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:10 am 

Since they're forcing you to update your "old, clumsy and soon abandoned Windows 7-8-8.1 operating system" for their "new, shiny and completely unusable Windows 10".

They're blocking almost everything they don't create by themselves or in some ways can interfere with their banal configuration.

Now the interface is the ugliest I've ever seen, every useful command is hidden and the new politic is: don't touch anything, don't think, and be grateful for what we have given to you, because we know what you want, not you.

Sorry for the rant.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 am 

Hi,
Do you preparing any update of ClassicShell for creators update? or any news in development, new features or something like that. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

There is no new version planned for the CU. From what I can tell, all features are working fine in version 4.3.0.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:27 pm 

For me classic shell does not work with the Creators Update. Explorer will keep crashing in a loop until classic shell is removed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:39 pm 

rocketjedi wrote:
For me classic shell does not work with the Creators Update. Explorer will keep crashing in a loop until classic shell is removed.

Post a crash dump if possible and upload the dump here compressed inside a ZIP file. See instructions here on how to capture the dump: www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6 Try both methods to capture the crash dump if one of them does not work.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:29 am 

I too am having the same problem as rocketjedi. I just finished install Windows 10 Creators Update. The standard windows 10 start button displays, then the classic shell start button displays, then the windows 10 start button displays, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

It is to the point where you cannot use the start menu at all. Fortunately I have ccleaner on my desktop, so I was able to start that and uninstall classic shell.

Oh, how I miss classic shell, please fix this.

Last edited by gd48202 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 am 

Just wanted to thank you for the superb way Classic Shell Start Menu updated when I installed Microsoft Creators update to Windows. Flawless - great job!

Backup: Macrium Reflect Pro, EaseUS Todo Home, Bvckup2
Browser: Slimjet
Customization: Open Shell Start Menu, Rainmeter, X Widget

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:41 pm 

To the people that had Classic Shell work, was it a clean install of Creators Update or was it an update?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 pm 

I have managed to get Classic Shell working on my computer again. I was having a problem where control panel would crash. I read on the web where IDT audio was causing a problem with control panel. Well I uninstalled IDT audio and control panel started working again. I then thought I would try installing Classic Shell once more. Lo and behold Classic Shell started working without a problem.

I hope this helps out others.

GD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:59 pm 

got it working as well. uninstalled classic shell. rebooted ran ccleaner files and reg cleaner then reinstalled all good now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:54 pm 

I have Classic Shell working with Win10 Creators Update. However, every time I reboot it reverts back to the native shell. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:44 pm 

charleyrich wrote:
I have Classic Shell working with Win10 Creators Update. However, every time I reboot it reverts back to the native shell. Suggestions?

If it's the Start Menu that isn't loading at startup, make sure that "Start automatically for this user" is turned on in Settings (General Behavior tab).

If it is on and the menu still not loading, then create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe and paste that shortcut in the folder:
C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:42 am 

I Just upgraded Windows Anniversary to Redstone 2, and after the upgrade and Windows starts just fine, but then ... Explorer crashes and goes into a re-start loop. the only way to stop the loop was to exit Classic Shell.

I then tried re-starting Classic Shell and the crash/Explorer restarting loop started again. So i am guessing that classic shell isn't compatible with the official Redstone 2 release yet?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:39 am 

bluemoon4ever wrote:
I Just upgraded Windows Anniversary to Redstone 2, and after the upgrade and Windows starts just fine, but then ... Explorer crashes and goes into a re-start loop. the only way to stop the loop was to exit Classic Shell.

I then tried re-starting Classic Shell and the crash/Explorer restarting loop started again. So i am guessing that classic shell isn't compatible with the official Redstone 2 release yet?

@bluemoon4ever, Tried uninstalling Classic Shell and reinstalling it? Also try the Classic Shell Utility: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3uker ... tility.exe to remove it and then reinstall it. Make an XML backup of your Settings to prevent losing them if you choose to remove them using the Utility.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:47 am 

Gaurav wrote:
bluemoon4ever wrote:

@bluemoon4ever, Tried uninstalling Classic Shell and reinstalling it? Also try the Classic Shell Utility: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3uker ... tility.exe to remove it and then reinstall it. Make an XML backup of your Settings to prevent losing them if you choose to remove them using the Utility.

i have already un-installed it using the utility you mentioned. i shall try and install it again, and get back to you with the resuts.

@edit ... NOPE! as soon as i try finish the install. Explorer goes into meltdown, then crashes and restarts, and then goes into crash/restart loop. Which is a shame as i really like Classic Shell. Have you guys tested it with Redstone 2 yet?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:54 am 

Just installed Creators update - the update removed Classic Shell. When I tried reinstalling 4.30 I get this: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.
I have checked all gpo and local software restrictions and there are none, also removed/rejoined school domain, no change. Other installs work as usual, just not Classic Shell!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:55 pm 

bluemoon4ever wrote:
Gaurav wrote:
bluemoon4ever wrote:

i have already un-installed it using the utility you mentioned. i shall try and install it again, and get back to you with the resuts.

@edit ... NOPE! as soon as i try finish the install. Explorer goes into meltdown, then crashes and restarts, and then goes into crash/restart loop. Which is a shame as i really like Classic Shell. Have you guys tested it with Redstone 2 yet?

Check to see if you have IDT audio installed on your computer. If you do, try uninstalling that. That is what solved my problem.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 pm 

bluemoon4ever wrote:

When you used the Utility, did you choose to delete all Settings so the PC is clean of all Classic Shell Registry entries? If not, try that. If Explorer crashes, you can capture a crash dump as per instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am 

Gaurav wrote:
bluemoon4ever wrote:

When you used the Utility, did you choose to delete all Settings so the PC is clean of all Classic Shell Registry entries? If not, try that. If Explorer crashes, you can capture a crash dump as per instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

Yes Deleted everything before i re-installed

IDT not in use - check device driver list, but deleted it from Program Files folder anyway.

re-installed with Crash Dump running and ... yes it crashed again

Where is the best place to upload the crash dump file to?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:52 am 

bluemoon4ever wrote:
Where is the best place to upload the crash dump file to?
You can compress it inside a ZIP file and attach it to one of your forum posts.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:44 am 

my Explorer Dump attached

Attachments:
explorer.exe_170411_193459.zip [466.95 KiB]
Downloaded 5299 times
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:23 am 

Dear all, i just installed Creators update on 2 different computers, but they behaved similarly with Classic Shell:
- Classic Shell was still installed and initially all worked perfectly
- After about 10 minutes, the menù did not show me the list of frequently used applications (which was visible immediately after the update)
- if i switch to "programs used recently" a list of programs used even before the update comes immediately
- if i switch back to "frequently used applications" it stays empty.

Obviously, if i repeatedly click on programs from the start menù->all programs, they will not appear in the list of frequently used applications anyway.

Anybody is having the same issue?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 am 

@yunior89, see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7477

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:24 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
@yunior89, see this topic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7477

Gaurav you sweet awesome man! I love you so much! :D

Thank you and sorry for not finding the option on my own!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:15 am 

guess no fix, or solution to my issue with the crash/restart loop in Redstone 2 ... even though is created a 'dump' for you guys?