It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:03 am 

Hi guys,

When I try to alter the "Start"-button, I only get a very narrow picture as a result. When I keep the mousepointer over it it rolls a bit upward and gives me the text I want to see. What's the best format for a png-file to be used as start-button, so I can see the whole pic?

I do hope I could make myself clear ... If not, just ask! Oh, by the way, my OS is win 10 home (64bit).

Thanks in advance for all your hints and leads

Alf

Attachments:
File comment: This is a pic how it looks when the mousepointer *is* hovering over the button.
startbuttonwithmouse.jpg
startbuttonwithmouse.jpg [ 24.07 KiB | Viewed 16641 times ]
File comment: This is a pic how it looks when the mousepointer is *not* hovering over the button.
startbuttonnomouse.jpg
startbuttonnomouse.jpg [ 26.47 KiB | Viewed 16641 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:15 am 
Site Admin

The start button needs 3 separate pictures, stacked vertically: http://www.classicshell.net/tutorials/b ... orial.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:12 am 

Hi, Ivo,

Thanks for your reply! But in the link you provided it says: "A custom start button requires an image that contains 3 distinct parts - one for the normal state of the button, one for the hot state (when the mouse is over the button), and one for the pressed state." And where do I define these three pics in Classic Shell? I seem unable to find the dialog ... 8•(
I can only define (determine?) ONE pic - under "User defined start button".

And it says: "By default the width of the start button equals the width of the image. The height of the button is the height of the image divided by 3."
That I simply don't understand; can someone, please, explain that to me?

Thanks for your patience

Alf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:41 am 

The image file that you use for a button must be like this:

You create such an image in a bitmap graphics editor like Paint.net (free) or similar. Or you can find ready to use buttons in our forum: viewforum.php?f=18 There are 17 pages of topics with Start buttons so you will definitely find something you like.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:02 am 
Site Admin

You need to create one image that has 3 equal portions, one for each state.
If you don't want the states to look different, simply repeat your picture 3 times vertically - all in the same bitmap.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:07 pm 

OK, understood. And what size or - maybe more important - proportions should this picture have? Or is this of no imprtance?

Alf
who's really grateful for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

The height must be a multiple of 3. The start button will cut the picture in 3 even parts and use each part for the states. If you want a square button the image needs to be 3 times taller than it is wide.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:34 pm 

By trial and error I found out, what fits my needs best: a pic that's 70 pixels in width and 50 pixels in height; this 3 times gives a pic of 70 x 150. It fits nicely into the task bar and is still recognizable.

Thanks again for your help

Alf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:04 pm 

The Start Button size can be changed even if your image does not fit the taskbar exactly. The "Button size" setting is on the "Start Button" tab in Classic Start Menu Settings under the "Custom Button" section.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.