It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:01 am 

Hello,

Love classic shell, but after upgrading to windows 10, windows explorer continuously crashes after I try to use classic shell. Any fix? I have version 4.2.5c. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:22 am 

Try the beta version of Classic Shell, 4.2.7 from the home page. If that version also crashes, please capture a crash dump as per these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:35 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
Try the beta version of Classic Shell, 4.2.7 from the home page. If that version also crashes, please capture a crash dump as per these instructions: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6

Ok, I'll try it. Thank you for the quick response.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:37 pm 

Did not work. will send log.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:58 pm 

I uploaded a zip file of two dump files on MediaMire ClassicShell account. These both showed crashes of sttray64.exe and explorer.exe at time of installation and activation of classic shell. Please advise how to fix. Thank you. File too big for forum upload. File has my forum name zzzzk.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Your crash is related to IDTNC64.cpl, which is probably not compatible with Windows 10. Search the Internet and you'll see many people complaining about it.

I don't know what sttray64.exe is. The crash doesn't seem to be related to Classic Shell. None of the Classic Shell code is even loaded by that process.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Your crash is related to IDTNC64.cpl, which is probably not compatible with Windows 10. Search the Internet and you'll see many people complaining about it.

I don't know what sttray64.exe is. The crash doesn't seem to be related to Classic Shell. None of the Classic Shell code is even loaded by that process.

Ok, thank you for the quick response. I'll check into it. FYI, I looked up the sttray64.exe and it also has to do with teh IDT audio driver. Why would an audio driver interfere with classic shell? Any way to prevent this while I look for another driver? Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:31 pm 

I uninstalled the IDT driver, rebooted, renamed the cpl that remained just in case. Now classic shell is working and so is the sound. Thank you for your help! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am 

Besides IDT, there is ONE MORE driver that I've found which crashes Control Panel. Realtek's audio driver if you haven't updated it, contains RtkAPO.dll which has the same effect as IDT's CPL file.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.