It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:04 am 

I apologize if this question has been answered many times already, but I can't seem to get through all the jargon to be able to understand. So I'm asking it again.

The Windows 7 Search feature offered the opportunity to type in a keyword, click "search" and get a few results. Click "more results", and a new window opens. Click "computer" and the search would proceed through every hard drive plugged into the PC until all files containing the keyword were listed. I can't seem to figure out how to get Classic Shell to do this. Windows 10 alone will not.

I have already gone into the "Search Box" in "Search Settings" in Classic Shell 4.2.5 and enabled every choice except "No search box, Access with tabs and Search the Internet". No luck.

Thank you very much for a simple explanation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:43 am 

If you use the Classic Start Menu to search, it searches indexed locations. You can click "See more results" to open Explorer. Thereafter it's not related to Classic Shell because Explorer and its search are Windows features.

Go to "This PC" from the left pane and then use the Explorer search box on the top right to search non-indexed locations of your disk drive. Computer is renamed to "This PC".

Windows Search service must be running in Services.msc for indexed search to work. On Windows 10, Cortana search is unreliable and does not always find what you want.

Read this detailed guide to understand how search works: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1588

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.