It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:31 am 

In the start menu configurator there is an item called "computer" which shows up as "This PC" in the start menu. (In my opinion it should be called the same thing in the configurator as it is in the start menu itself, but that is a minor confusion and I wouldn't even classify it as a complaint).

When I hover the mouse over "This PC" in the start menu, one of the items which shows up is a menu called"Documents" which when I hover over shows ALL the documents and folders in my "My Documents" folder. I find this so useful that I would like to put that Documents menu in my start menu up one level (i.e. so I can access this menu without first having to hover over "This PC". Can I do that?

Thanks
~Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:25 am 

It is called This PC if you are using Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. Press Win+E keys on your keyboard to open File Explorer. Right click "This PC" in the left name and choose Rename. Name it as "Computer". The change will be reflected in the Start Menu.

You can make Documents up one level. Go to Customize Start Menu Tab in Start Menu Settings (configurator). It should have an item called "Documents". Set it "Display as a menu". You can double click its ICON and do further customizations.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:26 pm 

Gaurav wrote:
You can make Documents up one level. Go to Customize Start Menu Tab in Start Menu Settings (configurator). It should have an item called "Documents". Set it "Display as a menu". You can double click its ICON and do further customizations.

Thanks Gaurav for the reply.
I probably should have mentioned that I had already tried what you suggested but it is not the same thing.
The documents menu under "This PC" creates a menu containing the folders and files under
"C:\users\MyUserName\Documents". (This is what I want).

However the Documents menu created the way you suggest above creates a menu containing the folders and files under
"C:\users\MyUserName\OneDrive\Documents"

That is not what I want. I tried disabling OneDrive but that didn't change this. I also had tried to use "properties" to change this location back to the main document folder but it said that I can't use that folder.

So I'm still stuck trying to get the menu to work like the documents submenu under "This PC" does.

~Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:07 am 

Double click the **icon** of "Documents" on the Customize Start Menu tab in Settings. You will get an "Edit Menu Item" dialog. There you can erase the contents of the Command: and Link: fields. Enter any path you want in the Link field. It can be C:\users\MyUserName\Documents or anything you want.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:30 am 

Gaurav wrote:
Double click the **icon** of "Documents" on the Customize Start Menu tab in Settings. You will get an "Edit Menu Item" dialog. There you can erase the contents of the Command: and Link: fields. Enter any path you want in the Link field. It can be C:\users\MyUserName\Documents or anything you want.

Of course I had tried to change the Link field many times as that just makes too much sense not to work. However it remained frustratingly grayed out. You mentioned clearing the Command field as well, which didn't make sense to me ... but indeed it did the trick!

Thanks.

~Paul