It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:09 pm 

I apologize if this has been answered but searching for any of the terms in the subject return with no results because the words "are too common".

I upgraded two Windows 8.1 PCs today to Windows 10. Both had the most current version of classicshell prior to the upgrade. After the upgrade Classicshell detected the OS had changed, and did its configuration thing. Afterwards, on the Start Menu, the "PC Settings" option is not there, nor is it in the classicshell settings, as an option in the list under Control Panel, like it normally is.

Is there an option I am missing to put it back?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:15 pm 

If you upgrade from an earlier configuration, the item may not be added automatically. Open Start Menu Settings and go to Customize Start Menu tab.

If you are using Classic with two columns style, drag "PC Settings" from right column to left and position it where you want. Click OK.

If you are using Windows 7 style, press Insert on Customize Start Menu tab to add a new item. Change "Administrative Tools" to PC Settings. You can move the item up or down by dragging its icon to position it where you want. Click OK to save settings.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:04 am 

Interesting behavior. When I changed the Menu style to Two Column, the PC Settings Options was there without me needing to do anything. However, whenever I switched back to Windows 7 style, PC Setting is no where to be found. Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Every style has its own settings. You probably customized the items for the Windows 7 style. Look at the Customize Start Menu page in the settings, find PC Settings, and enable it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:16 pm 

I wish I could... but the option is not there. Normally it's right under Control Panel, but on these two boxes, the options is just missing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:17 pm 

I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling next time I get a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, yeah, that's right.
Right click on the control panel, select Insert New Item, and change it to "PC Settings".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:23 pm 

I'll give that a shot and let you know. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:25 pm 

Just got around to this again. Your instructions worked.

It's weird though. I have only seen this happen 3 times now, and all at the same location.

Thanks.