It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Classic start menu
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 am 

Hey guys..
Could u help me in adding an image to the leftside of the start menu ...I'm new to this so any form of help
is appreciated also im using resource hacker.....:D

Post subject: Re: Classic start menu
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:06 pm 

Do you mean you want to add the user image to the left? If not, then what image and where exactly? A concept screenshot will help in understand what exactly you want.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:14 pm 

Thanks for replying .... :D see this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0BcmxmRaqY

for example on the start menu this guy gets an image on the blank side like a background image
I have added an image file just check it out the guy has a background image

Thanks .......

Attachments:
File comment: how do i do this
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 9.48 KiB | Viewed 48450 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 pm 

You need to edit Main_bitmap. Read the skin tutorial: http://www.classicshell.net/tutorials/s ... tml#slices and understand the slicing system. The middle part of the image is stretched to the size of the menu so you need an image that does just that.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:41 pm 

Could you just give me an example of the code pls

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:29 am 

Open the skin file in Resource Hacker whose background you wish to modify. Let's say for example, it is the "Windows Aero.skin". In Resource Hacker, the skin resource will have a name of 1. Expand it and click 1033. There you will see Main_Bitmap=1 which means now under the "Bitmap" resource type, the resource named 1 is the bitmap used as the background.

Main_bitmap_slices_X - must contain 6 numbers. The sum of the numbers must be equal to the width of the Main_bitmap image
; number 1 is the width of the image to use for the left edge of the caption
; number 2 is the width of the image to stretch and use as the background for the caption
; number 3 is the width of the image to use on the right of the caption
; number 4 is the width of the image to use on the left edge of the menu
; number 5 is the width of the image to stretch and use as the background for the menu
; number 6 is the width of the image to use for the right edge of the menu

Ignore the numbers 1,2,3 since they are for the caption slices.

Main_bitmap_slices_Y - must contain 3 numbers. The sum of the numbers must be equal to the height of the Main_bitmap image
; number 1 is the height of the image to use for the top edge of the menu
; number 2 is the height of the image to stretch and use as the background for the menu
; number 3 is the height of the image to use for the bottom edge of the menu

You have to create a 32-bit bitmap image in the bitmap editor of your choice (Paint.NET, Photoshop, Gimp etc). Note number 5 (for horizontal width) and number 2 (for vertical height) above. After those many pixels in the bitmap from the left, right, top, bottom, the middle portion which is stretched begins. So whatever image you want to use must be in this middle portion of the bitmap excluding the pixels from left, right, top and bottom edge (number 4,6 for horizontal edges, number 1 and 3 in Main_bitmap_slices_Y for vertical edges). The total sum of Main_bitmap_slices_X and Main_bitmap_slices_Y after you create/modify the bitmap image must be equal to the full horizontal width and height of the image respectively.

The bitmap 1 in the Windows Aero skin is quite slim horizontally because it just has to expand white space. You can create a wider bitmap with the middle portion. But since you want to use a specific image, exclude the pixels from the left, right, top and bottom and the middle portion is where your image goes inside the bitmap.

It's complex but once you understand it, it's not that difficult.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 am 

Or you could download this skin: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/download/file.php?id=293

open in resource hacker, delete resource 31, and import your own
when importing make sure the resource name is "31"(no quotes), and resource language is "1033" (no quotes)
and that your image is 666x786, that you dont write color space information, and that your file is a .bmp

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:48 am 

Yes that's easier. Thanks Jcee. Did you create that skin option with the same purpose? Of inserting a custom image? :)

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:30 am 

Thanks guys will try it out now :)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 am 

yea i actually did, and ive been thinkin about branching it out as its own skin, because alot of the options i would need for custom skins wouldnt apply as much to my skin...
also just wondering but do you know if you can set the background color for text? because it would probably be more readable on any background with alot of noise going on. To display like this for example with no transparency behind it

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:07 am 

There is a Main_background= parameter - RRGGBB color to use for the background of the main menu. It defaults to the system menu color and the bitmap will be drawn on top. But the color is only used if Main_opacity is "solid".

Compare Start Menus