It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:01 am 

Hi, I have one folder in my start menu with many items in it.

The columns expand fully across my laptop screen and completely occupy it, yet a few items are not shown.

Moving my mouse to the right of the screen does not show these items.

There is nowhere to move the mouse to to exit this display.. Win Key seems maybe the only exit.

By contrast, Aston menu handles this sensibly, allowing the display of all items, and an area to move the mouse to out of the start menu display. (But Classic Menu is clearer..)

Is there any easy resolution? Eg column width, overlapping columns, shifting the display to the left when the mouse is moved to the right of the screen?

Ok, I could buy a big screen.. but hey, it's a laptop! (15" screen).

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 am 

There is always the Start button (or bottom left hot corner) to click to close the menu. :)

To browse folders with lots and lots of items via a menu, you could try some optimizations:
1. In Start Menu settings -> All Settings -> Menu look tab, uncheck the option "All columns are same size". This may compact columns more.
2. In Start Menu settings -> All Settings -> Menu look tab, you could also adjust the sub-menu width so that more columns fit.
3. In Start Menu settings -> All Settings -> Menu look tab, use single column (scroll) option to display a single scrolling column. If you don't want all folders in the Start Menu to scroll, you can set it to "Auto" (multiple columns if they fit).

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 am 

also you could reduce font size for the theme
and reduce the filenames of the longest files in a column to compact it more

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:48 am 

Thanks GauravK.. (2) is best, also can reduce icon size. (3) is definitely what I don't what.

Ok, I could also put some things into another subfolder, but it's a mix of utilities with not a very obvious further grouping. There are 2 or 3 subfolders there already.

I didn't know about the hot corner.. thanks.. but there's a minor bug/quirk there - if the right-most column is only part displayed (rest off the screen) the hot corner isn't accessible.

(Oh, I'm not using the large font option by the way).

Jcee: thanks: Noted that font size change is not an option as such - it's part of the skin configuration (tutorial elsewhere). I tend to occasionally add a short note in the start menu to remind myself of something.. normally not longer than the typical items in the column - there's little to shrink.

So I can get it all on the display, with some tweaking.. but little option for any expansion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:53 am 

Oh, and in some cases, the expanded menu covers the start button too (!) so with no start button, no hot corner, and no margin (which there is for some skins at the top of the screen) ESC or Win key are necessary to close Classic start Menu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:07 am 

ah you add notes to your start menu :P, i add sticky notes to my desktop to remind me of stuff :P

and yea font size isnt always supported by a skin, but its not that hard to open it in reshacker, and adjust it :P, if itl help
also screen size doesnt actually affect the amount of stuff that can fit on your screen, rather resolution does (although some monitors dont support 1920x1080, or some users dont like to use it, because then alot of things are to small to read on already small monitors)

if you want, and cant figure it out, you can tell me what skin you use, and what font size you want and ill be happy to add it for you :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:31 am 

Oh I got what you mean now by full screen menu covering everything. I tried adding the Fonts menu as a subitem and got this: http://i.imgur.com/XSAm6Q7.png . Maybe a future version can have a feature to never cover the taskbar if Ivo accepts it.

"All columns are same size" option is also definitely helpful. What it will do is make the menu show columns like Windows 7 Explorer. The column width is adjusted to show only the longest file name in the column.

Besides Esc key, Win key, the left arrow key will also work to close the submenu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 am 

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the helpful responses.

I've decided to pass on this in the end.. I'm happy to use the features beside the start menu.. whose appearance and features I like - but besides the issue mentioned, as I now remember when I tried an earlier version, the folder icons I've customised go blank somewhat randomly after a while.

They are fine in a standard Windows start menu, or Aston Menu...