It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:41 pm 

I recently upgraded ?? from 8.1 to Windows 10 on my HP laptop. Won't be doing that anytime soon to my desktop. Finally got color back into the explorer bars, but a new issue has come up.

I have the latest Classic Shell version. I go to Classic Start Menu and click the tab of Windows 10 Settings. I check the box for "Customize Taskbar" and click the radio button for "Transparent" I set the opacity to 55, and even have reset the color. Hit ok at the bottom and it changes to a nice semi-transparent taskbar as I have it set at 55. Looks good. Then I close (X in right corner) and changes are GONE. I go right back in the the "Customize Taskbar" is unchecked and it is set for 85 by default for opacity.

Is there a registry setting to change the taskbar opacity?
Why is it not sticking or remembering it's settings?

Is there a particular "skin" that I must use for this to work right?

Vern

Vern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Pressing the red X is the same as clicking Cancel. It reverts the settings.
To make the settings stick you need to press OK.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:02 pm 

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit the ok, but it was in the area of the taskbar. I "autohide" the taskbar and then just clicked "OK" and it remained. Is there a way to resize the menu to do the Classic Start so that it is not so tall?

Vern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

I guess you are talking about resizing the Settings window, not the menu. It can be resized like any other window, however there is a minimum size. If you have a small resolution display with large DPI setting, then it is possible that even at its minimum size the Settings window may not fit well on the screen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:13 pm 

Ivo wrote:
I guess you are talking about resizing the Settings window, not the menu. It can be resized like any other window, however there is a minimum size. If you have a small resolution display with large DPI setting, then it is possible that even at its minimum size the Settings window may not fit well on the screen.

I think I just found it I had the screen resolution set at 125%. When I reset that, it logged me out. Now, when I open Classic Shell, it is much smaller, as are the icons and everything else. Harder for these old eyes to read, but at least it got the "OK" out of the taskbar and able to not only click on it and work, but also I can resize the Classic Start Menu as well. Good to know this info because I am sure I am not the only one this has happened to. Change a setting and only way to get out is hit the red X, which, as you said, cancels any changes you have made at that point.

Now I need to set the default font size for Firefox a bit bigger.

Vern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

What is your monitor resolution?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:33 pm 

Ivo wrote:
What is your monitor resolution?

It is a HP 15 laptop. Screen resolution is at max at 1366 X 768.
There was a setting in it to change the size of text in the Menu bars, Title bars, etc. I changed the Menu bar from 9 to 12 and the menus up to 10. Most are set at 9.

Vern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah... 768 vertically is quite tiny. With 125% zoom (120 DPI) there isn't that much room for anything.

In most cases you can just press Enter to activate the OK button, even if it is off-screen. For most reliable result, just click on the search box at the top and then press Enter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:09 pm 

Pressing Ctrl+Enter in the Settings window is also equivalent to pressing OK. Press Esc to cancel the changes and close. Both are handy when the OK and Cancel buttons are not visible/beneath the taskbar.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:34 pm 

Thank you Gaurav! That was most appreciated.

Vern