It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:26 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for a great product. Running Classic start menu 4.2.5 on Windows 10. Recently I upgraded a text editor (Textpad). Subsequent to the upgrade, the pinned program shortcut on the start menu had to be recreated. In the process, it lost the recent files linked to it. There is no right arrow associated with the program any longer. Ironically, if I check the Windows start menu, it's there.

I'm assuming a setting or registry entry needs corrected. How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:13 pm 

The recent files (jumplists) linked with a program depend on the appid the shortcut is using. It is possible that the new shortcut you pinned does not have the same appID as the old one. Unpin the shortcut without recent files from the Classic menu. Then right click the Textpad shortcut in your Windows 10 menu and click Pin to Taskbar. Once it is pinned to taskbar, Shift+right click the taskbar shortcut and choose "Pin to Start Menu (Classic Shell)". You can then unpin it from the Taskbar.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:42 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not work. Apparently the "recent" items aren't there on either menu contrary to what I though earlier. The Win 10 menu has a right arrow and some context options but no "recent" items. Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:45 pm 

Jumplists might have been turned off. On Windows 10, the option for it is in Settings app -> Personalization -> Start. "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar".

After this, you need to open a few documents with the program to see them in the flyout arrow.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:09 pm 

OK, checked that setting. All is well there. Other apps have jumplists and recent files. I'm beginning to wonder if the developer broke something on the upgrade.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep researching it and submit a bug report to the program developer.