It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

Post subject: Windows10bug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:59 pm 

in windows 10 i disable all access to webcache folder classicstart open one time and then it freezes and hangs and then works again for a while.

while disabling webcache folder in user and deleting the 30-50 mb webcache files classicshell just cant always cope with it . PLEASE FIX IT.

Also a classic taskbar would be gold and disabling the immersive context menus now when new classictheme has been released HERE
http://bertrand.deo.free.fr/TEMP/w8classic.zip

Post subject: Re: Windows10bug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

If you are seeing a long freeze, please use the instructions here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6
to capture a series of dumps.

Also, give me more detail about that webcache folder. Where is it and how do you disable it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:46 am 

actually its interacting with dllhost , when dllhost.exe is turned off then its all fine the only thing i did was denying system access to webcache folder that messed up classicshell and the startmenu could only open one time and crash .
my fix to this was to dig out the dllhost for windows xp and put in in place of that windows 10 dllhost files , it was a quick and dirty fix .

webcache folder here is a screendump of my setting

Also i use classic theme at http://bertrand.deo.free.fr/TEMP/w8classic.zip (but not to often since win10 has broken taskbar and taskbar context immersive menus , the immersive menu regoff does not work on taskbar either

The problem comes first when switching to the classic theme but classicshell + classictheme work fine in win8 this is a win10 only problem. (maybe because the taskbar is broken in system not in theme)

Edit: Bugs that can happen : it seems like any version of dllhost have the same problem with this setting enable classictheme.exe mod get corrupted taskbar and corrupted taskbar context menus (normal) but now also startbutton can open menu only 1 time and goes into a freeze not responding loop immediately after only way i fixed it was deleting dllhost.exe log off log on and add dllhost.exe again .

It would be nice if you could add a taskbar loading properly fix for classic mode would be good and might fix many future bugs

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FlightedFeatures\ImmersiveContextMenu = 0

That is for taskbar on desktop in classic mode , it does however only work on contextmenus that are located on
desktop while taskbar renmain broken
Interestingly enough if handle is used to disable dwm then the windows 7 thene pops up i think it would be cool to add
back this stuff in classic theme

using this script
@echo off
FOR /F "delims=^T" %%G IN ('Handle ThemeSection') do set output=%%G
FOR /F "tokens=6" %%G IN ('echo %output%') DO set handleid=%%G
FOR /F "tokens=3" %%G IN ('echo %output%') DO set pid=%%G
echo %handleid%
echo %pid%
Handle -c %handleid% -p %pid% -y

with this program https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... 96655.aspx

Classictheme is opensource too so im sure it can be used to make some fixes .

As you said if it is still into the os you could add it back these things are still into the os
some stuff i seen in shell32.dll now reside in sihost.dll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Looks like you have heavily modified your system. You have gone deep into unknown and unsupported territory.

I don't know why the webcache permissions affect the start menu. It doesn't need that folder directly. You may have an item in the menu that depends on that folder. A tool like Process Monitor can determine if that folder is being accessed and from which OS component.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:43 am 

Ivo wrote:
Looks like you have heavily modified your system. You have gone deep into unknown and unsupported territory.

I don't know why the webcache permissions affect the start menu. It doesn't need that folder directly. You may have an item in the menu that depends on that folder. A tool like Process Monitor can determine if that folder is being accessed and from which OS component.

It is the webcache folder that is tied to dllhost.exe . Only classicshell freezes while the rest works fine when i disable the webcache folder the hard way to save diskspace and faster boot but if i rename dllhost.exe to dllhost.bak and restart then classicshell works fine but having it on while blocking access to webcache and it does not respond .
Can this be fixed in next version?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:59 am 

You are not supposed to rename or replace system files. Then it becomes an unsupported scenario.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:11 am 
Site Admin

You are saying that classicshell works fine but also does not respond. Which one is it?

I'll say it again - "I don't know why the webcache permissions affect the start menu. It doesn't need that folder directly. You may have an item in the menu that depends on that folder. A tool like Process Monitor can determine if that folder is being accessed and from which OS component."

So you need to do some investigation on your end to figure out what exactly is failing.