It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 am 

Hello,

i would like to use the Classic start menu (Win 7 style) on our new server 2012R2 RDP Server.
I installed the classic start menu and copied the admx file to our central store and also the adml file.

Then i created a gpo and all settings are visible - great.
I configured for example the setting "control panal" - i set it to "enabled", the status to locked and the value to "dont show the setting"
all this settings are done in "user configuration"

on my rdp server i did a gpupdate /force and looked at the registry. In HKCU\Software\Policies\IvoSoft the values are added but the menu point "control panal" is still visible. That happens with all gpo settings.
what did i wrong?

In you forum is a thread about gpo settings with this explenation:
Quote:
Now, for the Windows 7 style, to enforce the customized items using GPO:

1. First configure the items in the Classic Start Menu settings GUI dialog.
2. Open Windows Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and look up the value named MenuItems7 in HKCU\Software\IvoSoft\ClassicStartMenu\Settings.
3. Double click the MenuItems7 value and copy the value data of the 'MenuItems7' value.
4. Now open Group Policy and look for the policy setting called "Menu items for the Windows 7 style".
5. Double click it, set it to Enabled and "Locked to this value" and paste the registry value's data that you copied into the corresponding policy setting's field below the "State" option. Click OK to save the policy setting.
6. Exit and restart the Classic Start Menu or log off Windows and login back for the changes to take effect. For domain you may need to run Gpupdate /force from elevated command prompt.

But if have to manually configure the start menu and copy the reg values to the "Menu items for the Windows 7 style), why there are the gpo settings to do that??

It would be great if someone can help me.
best regards

EDIT: ok, maybe i found the problem. Are the gpo settings like show "control center", "computer" and so on only for the design "classic design" and not working with windows 7 design. If i use the windows 7 design i have to use the gpo "layout options for the windows 7 design".
is that correct?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:15 am 

Correct, those are for the classic style. For Windows 7 style you must use the Menu items... policy setting.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.