It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:07 am 

Hello Everyone,

i searched for a long time on the forum and on the application settings but i only could find "font size" and not exactly what i'm searching.

My goal is to increase the space between the voices in the menù (screenshot 1 is my menù). As you can see, they are compact there with little space between each other (sorry for the ugly arrows)

In screenshot 2 is how the screenshot program and how in one of my other real windows 7 machine looks: there is much more space between the menues.

Can anybody help me to find the function that increases the space?

thank you very much and i apologize in case i could not find an already posted topic with the same question

Gianluca

Attachments:
Screenshot 2.JPG
Screenshot 2.JPG [ 42.82 KiB | Viewed 13805 times ]
Screenshot 1.JPG
Screenshot 1.JPG [ 49.9 KiB | Viewed 13805 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Looks like in Screenshot 1 you have set the "Small icons" skin setting, which also reduces the padding in the right column. If you don't want to turn this off and still have more padding, you will have to edit the skin: http://www.classicshell.net/tutorials/skintutorial.html
Look for a setting called Main2_text_padding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:41 am 

To keep the left side of the menu small but increase the padding on the right side, determine which skin you are using by going to the Skin tab in Classic Start Menu settings. Also, note the Start Menu style you are using. Windows 7 style skins use the .skin7 extension.

Now copy the skin you are using from C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins to another folder like, e.g the Desktop folder. Rename the skin to something else.

Download and install the freeware Resource Hacker, Open the skin file on the desktop in Resource Hacker. Press Ctrl+F in Resource Hacker and locate the lines Main2_text_padding. Change the 2nd and 4th values of this Main2_text_padding value (which indicate the top and bottom padding). Click Compile Script button after incrementing the values, save changes to the skin file and copy it back to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell Skins. Switch to the new skin from the Skins tab.

If you are not comfortable with skin editing yourself, tell us which Start Menu style and skin you are using.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:52 pm 

Hello you both,

i deeply thank you for your answer to my post!
I tried to use large icons and also large font. The result is in screenshot 3. It definitely looks bigger, but still not as much space as the screenshot 2, also because i would really like if possible to keep the icons small (but still big spaces).

To answer to GauravK: thank you for giving me another option. The first one you wrote sounded really complicate :)
I'm using Windows 7 style on Windows Aero Them. On a windows 10 OS, if this might help.

Any idea if i'm the only one with this issue or i'm being too picky?

Thank you so much for your help in this!

Attachments:
Screenshot 3.JPG [187.04 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:49 pm 

Try this skin. Download it to the Desktop and then copy it to C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\Skins. Then open Classic Start Menu Settings and switch to this skin from the "Skin" tab.

Attachments:
Windows Aero with 2nd column padding increased.skin7 [399.5 KiB]
Downloaded 825 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:32 am 

GauravK you are an absolute genius. My feelings for you go beyond the understandable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It worked extremely perfect and it is E X A C T L Y how i was imagining it!!!!!!!!!

thank you also to you Ivo for helping out!