It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:54 am 

In Windows XP you can go to "Programs - Accessories - System Tools and in there is Character Map, Clipboard Viewer and System Restore. It is not present in the 8.1 and 10 version we have. I created a shortcut on the desktop using right click on desktop and then in the field box type in c:\Windows\System32\sysdm.cpl ,4 (note: the space between the .cpl and the , is necessary) and click enter and 'Voila, you have a System Restore but funny icon. Right click on it and choose Properties and at the bottom is "Change Icon" choose that and then you need to browse in the \System32 folder for the executable called rstrui.exe and choose it. Icon appears and click ok and you are done. You could mererly type in rstrui in the "run" command, but that gives you a System Restore that only lets you choose former restore points. This new shortcut will allow you to do that PLUS it will allow you to create a System Restore point as well.

Seems to be missing in the newest versions of Windows operating systmems. Can this shortcut be incorporated into the menu part of Classic Shell to add to the start menu? I pinned it in both the 8.1 and 10 version to Classic Shell.

Vern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:04 am 

You can simply paste the shortcut you created inside the following folder to include it inside the Start Menu:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:19 pm 

GauravK wrote:
You can simply paste the shortcut you created inside the following folder to include it inside the Start Menu:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

Many thanks! That went well AFTER I went into the control panel and File Explorer - View and made sure to show hidden files and folder and drives. THEN the first part showed up.."ProgramData" Also another folder I had to open to get there (which may be endemic to Windows 10) was this path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\System Tools and in there is where I dropped the copy/paste shortcut to "System Restore"

Why did Microsoft not inculde this in the lineup? Seems like a very nice shortcut to have!

Vern