It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:32 pm 

Hi, I've been using the Classic Shell start menu for a while now, and stumbled upon this changelog in the MSFN forum (linked here). One of the changes mentioned in the post was "A new turn off monitor command that you can add to your Shutdown submenu." I've been trying to add this setting to my shutdown menu, and can't seem to find the option. I looked to the tooltip of the shutdown menu items setting, and it doesn't appear to include it. Here's an image of the tooltip:

Is there any way to enable this? It'd be handy at times where I need to quickly need to turn off the monitor. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

You need to use the Classic style if you want to customize the shutdown menu. The Classic style is much more customizable.

If you want to stick to the Windows 7 style, the only thing you can do is add an extra item to the right column. Add a new custom item in the Customize Start Menu tab, set its command to "monitor_off", enter the text for the Label and optionally an icon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:12 pm 

I tried out the classic version of the menu, and I was really surprised at how much more customizable it was! I'm not a big fan of the cascading all programs menu though, so I think I'll be sticking with the Win7 style menu, with an option in the right side. Thanks for responding! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:13 pm 

I've marked the thread as "solved."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:08 pm 

For the 'Label' of the command 'monitor_off', you can use the text: $Menu.MonitorOff so it is automatically translated if your language if it is non-English. For the icon, you can use the attached icon if you like.

Attachments:
DisplayOff.zip [52.33 KiB]
Downloaded 1045 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:52 pm 

This is for laptops? Seems like on a desktop all you need is to reach over and turn the power button off on the monitor.

Vern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:48 pm 

Yes it is for laptops, tablets and any display which doesn't have a manual hardware power off button.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:00 pm 

Hi!

My computer doesn't support sleep functions that Classic Shell requires as mensioned here. I can however use the monitor_off command to put my computer to sleep normally. What I want is to add a similar customization feature like in Classic style menu to Windows 7 style menu as well. Now there is only one option to add an extra button to right column if you use Windows 7 style menu and want to use monitor_off command. I don't want extra buttons to right column but to add monitor_off function to the shutdown menu directly.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:42 pm 

@jourta, as of Classic Shell 4.2.3, you cannot add custom commands/items to submenus in Windows 7 style. You can however add the monitor_off command in the main menu, above the Shutdown button.

Go to Customize Start Menu, scroll down and select the last item there, then press the Insert key on the keyboard. A new item will get added. Change its command from "Administrative Tools" to "Custom" and then double click its icon to bring up the "Edit Menu Item" dialog.

In the Edit Menu Item dialog, specify the Command: monitor_off. For Label, specify: $Menu.MonitorOff. Set a suitable icon and click OK twice to save settings.

Attachments:
DisplayOff.png
DisplayOff.png [ 45.65 KiB | Viewed 34382 times ]

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:46 pm 

This is quite handy, thanks. Always used a separate program for this.

AKsarben wrote:
This is for laptops? Seems like on a desktop all you need is to reach over and turn the power button off on the monitor.

Works fine for desktops, sends the monitor into standby mode if you need to leave the PC for some time for example, and want to quickly turn the monitor off. I don't think it's good practice to switch the monitor off directly without allowing it to switch off on its own first (I could be wrong though). Depends on how each monitor works of course, surely their Off button behaves differently on each device. I'd also never switch my TV off directly without turning it off from the remote first (red/standby button).

Something related: There's a bug somewhere in Windows 10 that prevents the monitor from turning off on some systems! Hope they fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:04 am 

GauravK wrote:
@jourta, as of Classic Shell 4.2.3, you cannot add custom commands/items to submenus in Windows 7 style

Yes and will there be an updated release with this feature?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:24 am 

Is there a way to add a delay (in ms, or seconds for example) before the monitor is actually turned off?