It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please, keep discussions on topic and in the right forum. The start menu topics go into the Classic Start Menu forum, etc. This makes it easier for people to locate topics they are looking for.
If you get a satisfactory response to your question, please mark the topic as "solved". Click the green √ button in the bottom-right of the post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:35 am 

Hello and thanks again for the amazing Classic Shell.

I'm having this strange problem lately (1-2 weeks), when I press Win+P to change the dual display mode, the Start Screen comes up and the display options on the right disappear immediately. The only way to avoid this is to take care releasing the Win key immediately after pressing P, something which was never required previously. I uninstalled CS 4.1.0 (only Classic Start Menu is installed) and problem goes away. Windows 8.1 Pro x64. Any ideas on this?

(the CS uninstaller always gives me an error (2502 or 2503) but the uninstall seems to complete fine - UAC is disabled)

Last edited by MenuPeak on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:36 am 
Site Admin

So up until few weeks ago there was no such problem, even with Classic Shell?

Try few things:
1) In the Controls tab in the settings, disable all controls that involve the Win key
2) Instead of uninstalling Classic Shell, right-click on the start button and select Exit

See if any of the two has any effect on the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:51 am 

Thanks Ivo. Yes, everything worked fine with Classic Shell installed and I didn't change any shortcut settings within CS. Exiting CS solves the problem.

Setting "Windows key opens nothing" doesn't solve it. "Shift+Win opens nothing" (instead of Windows Start Screen) solves the problem which is strange, since I've always used it like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Are other Win key shortcuts affected? For example Win+E for Explorer, Win+F for Find, or Win+C for the charms.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:16 pm 

Tested those now and they are all affected too. Maybe some other application is interfering? I'll have to check but if you have a CS-specific suggestion please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:21 pm 

Ok found it: it's Zemana Antilogger interfering, sorry for not checking earlier. I'll see if I can make it work with an allow rule or sth. but I don't see it being that configurable.